A Moment in Paris

Eve pushed open the door to her home in Paris. She had, of course, called ahead to make sure the heavy, velvet drapes were pulled back. The historic Avenue Foch through the window was like viewing a picturesque painting as they walked in.

Bienvenue,” Eve said, giving a slight bow and a smile to her companion.

“My God. It’s beautiful, Eve.” Lainey stepped through the threshold, and couldn’t hold back the small gasp of delight. The loft-style duplex apartment, housed in the beautiful 1930s stone building, was exquisite. The entire wall opposite the entrance was comprised of arched windows and sliding glass doors that stepped out onto a splendid balcony. She tilted her head to take in the high ceilings, and the mezzanine surrounding the second floor.

“Thank you. I’ll take you for a tour if you want.” She stood a respectable distance from Lainey, even though she wanted to be holding her in her arms.

“I’d love that. Maybe after I’ve freshened up?” When Eve nodded, Lainey smiled. “Do you have a studio here as well?” She immediately regretted her question when Eve’s mood darkened. It only lasted a split second, but Lainey knew Eve. Very well.

“Do not apologize,” Eve said before Lainey could speak again. She knew Lainey. “It’s a perfectly normal question to ask me. And, yes. I do.”

“Eve, I should have been more sensitive . . . “

“Stop. Please, Lainey? I don’t want to think about not being able to paint. I just want to do what we came here for, and then spend the rest of our time showing you around Paris. I promised you this trip. We’re going to make the best of it.”

“You never told me how Adam reacted to me coming here with you.” Lainey grimaced when Eve’s eyes darkened again. Shit.

“If you want to talk about these things, can we at least do it while I’m drinking wine?”

“I’m sorry. And, I know you don’t want to hear that either,” Lainey sighed. She was nervous. It was ridiculous really. She and Eve had been together – alone – many times since they stopped sleeping with each other. They were both married, and Lainey knew nothing would happen while they were here in Paris. They had done the same in Italy. So, why did Lainey feel apprehensive?

“What were you just thinking about?” Eve caught the slight blush on Lainey’s cheeks. She had always thought it added to Lainey’s beauty, even though saying so always added to Lainey’s embarrassment.

“Nothing.” She watched as Eve raised her eyebrow, and wondered if she said things that irritated Eve just to see that. “Really, Eve. If we’re going to talk about that I’m going to need more than wine.”

Both of Eve’s eyebrows rose at that. Could Lainey be feeling even a fraction of what she was feeling? Probably not a good thing to think about. Or know. Especially after everything that had been discovered in Eve’s last therapy session. Damn it! She didn’t want to be thinking of therapy or not being able paint. If she were completely honest, all she wanted to focus on was being here with Lainey. Even if she had to play the part of best friend instead of lover. I don’t have to hold back in my dreams, Eve thought.

“Come on. I’ll show you to your room.” Without thinking, she placed a hand on the small of Lainey’s back. When she felt the slight tremble, she let her hand drop. “Sorry,” she muttered.

Lainey stopped before climbing the stairs. She laid her palm on Eve’s cheek, and touched Eve’s bottom lip lightly with her thumb. “No apologies, Eve.” She turned then, leaving a stunned Eve stumbling to catch up with her.