STARRY NIGHT

ミ⛧

The night had never felt warmer than it was when I first entered the bumbling front yard. There was not a single moment of silence as old relatives chatter the night away. I held the gift tightly in my arms as I navigated my way through a sea of people. I looked at my dad for reassurance but, I only saw the back of his head as he marched forward. Feeling unsure of the large crowd crammed up in such a tiny place, I used the gift I had in my arms as a way to shield my body.

My aunt went all out on her birthday this year; there were fairy lights everywhere and, a catering service was on the side supplied with food I don't even recognize except for a single chocolate fountain. I was about to stray towards it until my father's cackle echoed in my ears, catching my attention successfully. He had his arms wide open, ready to smother the receiver with a hug.

"There she is, old Edalyn!" His voice boomed excitedly at my approaching aunt. She merely scoffed at the word old. Nevertheless, she accepted the hug with a charming grin. "Oh shut it, (F/N), I'm not that old!" She remarked, pulling away from my dad while slapping his shoulder weakly. "Besides, for a woman my age, I still got it!" She boasted with her chest puffed.

The way she carries herself always amazed me; everything about her matches down from her appearance to her personality.

Although there's one quirk I don't necessarily like about her.

"Hey, little booger, is that for me?" My aunt asked, ruffling my hair

It was her nickname for me. I get that I used to be a snotty little kid but, I'd like to think I grew out of it.

I sucked in my lips and averted my eyes away from her, "What do you mean? I bought this gift for myself." I shrugged, distancing the gift away from her. My aunt rolled her eyes; her little pointed fang peeked out of her lips as she gave me a pout. Good thing that I'm such a forgiving person; I can't stay mad at such a puppy look.

I chuckled under my breath while I handed her the gift, "Happy Birthday, auntie." I greeted her as I kissed her cheek. She only snorted in response, taking the gift box from me. "Alright, alright, stop before someone gets jealous." She patted my shoulders, flashing me with one of her bright smiles. "Luz is right there with bossyboots if you're wondering." She pointed at the table at the corner where Luz happily converses with her girlfriend.

Luz was my auntie's so-called apprentice. I'm pretty sure they're just playing tabletop games most of the time. Over the summers I spent visiting my aunt, I have bonded with the happy ball of sunshine Luz is. At this point, my family adopted her as our own.

As I made my way to Luz and Amity, it's embarrassing that I have tripped numerous times on children running at godspeed. The agonizing journey ended as soon as I plopped down on the empty chair beside Luz.

"(Y/N), what took you so long?" Luz exclaimed as she hugged me briefly as a small greeting. I let out a tired sigh as I massaged my temples, "I got caught up dodging kids, sorry." I turned to Amity and noticed her pastel purple hair, "Love the new hair, by the way." She mustered up a small thanks, twirling a purple strand with her index finger. A bowl of chips was dropped on the table and, the chair in front of me squeaked. "That's my doing you're complimenting." I looked up to see the green-haired teen smirking down at me proudly. "Hey Em, where's Ed?" I asked, looking for her twin, who is usually attached to her hip. "Ed is probably puking his guts out at home." She nonchalantly shrugged as she bit a potato chip. Amity facepalmed, turned to me, and deadpanned, "He ate a snowball out of curiosity." He finally used the snow he stored in their fridge.

My eyes wandered around the front yard, finally taking in the enormous blur of people. The whole yard was exploding with life; was there something magical on the water for everyone to be this energetic?