01

The library wasn't my favorite place to study. For the most part, it was too quiet. Not because there was a sign that said no talking (there wasn't), but because we were genuinely trying to respect each other enough to not cause distractions. Since it was a place other girls were as well, I also felt the need to over perform. I think it comes from being an only child. In this case, this manifested in forcing myself to show that I can do more than anyone. Instead of the usual hour or two of studying, I was on hour four and with no clear stopping time in my mind. That was until one of my best friends walked in with a bag of sour watermelon candy.

     "I'll give you this entire bag if you get your dad to bring the case file they are working on right now to your birthday brunch." Gemma whispered once she reached me and sat cross legged in the chair.

     I rolled my eyes, "I'll let you keep the entire bag if you stop mentioning my birthday brunch. It's probably not even going to happen."

     "You're turning 15. It's going to happen. Your dad is always hyping up your birthdays, as far back as I can remember." Gemma said as she opened the bag and pretended to waft the smell over to me.

     "The likelihood that they'll be out of town on a case is extremely high. I don't have an exact number, but I can run the math if you want me to."

     "Or," Gemma's leaned closer to me, looked around for emphasis. Something that was necessary because of the school we go to. "They could, and hear me out here, be called into a case in town."

     I couldn't help it: I laughed. "Let me get this straight: you want my dad to come to town for my birthday so much that you are okay with there being a serial killer or some sort of sociopath loose in Roseville?"

     "When you put it that way-"

     "There's no other way to put it G."

     "You gotta admit it would be the best birthday gift ever if we got to help the BAU with a case." Gemma conceded.

     I shook my head as I began to pack up my stuff. The sun was shining in a way that let me know that lunch was starting in the Great Hall. "You know what would be a great birthday gift?" Gemma looked over, hopeful. "Having a normal birthday with my family and friends."

     "We go to a school for spies and your dad is the director of the FBI's BAU - normal is a watchword. A birthday where you help the BAU solve a crime would be superior."

      "None of them have clearance to know about the school G." I stood up from the table and began the trip downstairs to the lasagna that was waiting from us. "My dad only knows because I go here - if not, this school would be completely off the radar for them."

     "You're really ruining the vibe." Gemma deadpanned as we practically ran into seventh graders walking in front of us practicing their conversational skills in Italian. "We wanted to do something fun. You're turning 15. You're becoming a woman."

     "That sounds...so weird. And false. That is 16th birthdays. Either way, please never say that again." Once we reached the doors to the Great Hall, I moved over to wait for our other roommates at our designated spot. I leaned against the windows that showed the front of the school grounds. "And anyway, it's my birthday. I can ruin the vibes if I want to."

     "Well I'm not going to let you."

     Natalie and Madeline walked up with towels around their necks and hydro flasks in their hands. They looked between us and then at each other. Natalie rolled her eyes and Madeline shook her head.

      "Can we pause the whole hacking into the FBI and finding out what case Jackie's family is working on until after we eat lasagna?" Madi asked and motioned towards the doors of the dining hall where there were now a constant influx of girls walking.

     It took me a moment before I fully processed what she said - I'll blame it on the obsessive amount of studying I had done and the fact that the smell of lasagna was even better once we were in the Great Hall. "Where are hacking into?!"

     "Calm down," Natie shrugged. "We've done it before. It's not that hard."

     "I'm not saying it's hard. I'm just saying maybe we shouldn't do it. Garcia is good." I whispered as I piled on the lasagna onto my plate.

     Natie feigned offense, "And I'm not?"

     "I truly hate it here." I scoffed.

     We were all sitting down with the the rest of the freshman class slowly filling in the spots at our table. None of us continued the conversation. I can't tell you if it was because we were in a room full of future, and former, operatives and we did not want this particular conversation overheard. Or because each of us was a special type of stubborn and no amount of talking was gonna convince us to change our opinions.

     "Here he comes." Madi teased, as she sat up straighter and tried to make herself look taller. "And he's wearing workout clothes. He wants me to die."

     "How is he both Dad and Daddy?" G said as she grabbed another piece of garlic bread. "Headmistress really is the luckiest person in the world."

     "She's just as hot, though." I added. "I don't know who's luckier."

     Natie nodded while filling her mouth with lasagna. Her gaze never left Mr. Solomon has he walked over to the Sophomore table next to us.

     "Stop staring." Madi snapped, pushing a piece of bread onto Natie's plate. "He's gonna notice."

     "As if he hasn't already," I whispered.

     "Ladies," a voice said from my left. Headmistress Morgan-Solomon stood there, in black pants and a loose fitting white shirt. Natie momentarily choked on her bread; G began to awkwardly smile; Madi and I seemed to forget how to breathe.

     "Good afternoon Headmistress." We said together after what felt like a lifetime of an awkward pause.

     "I hope you girls are taking advantage of the day."

     "Yes ma'am." All of us managed to say. Madam Dabney would be slightly disappointed in how we were acting in the moment.

     "Keeping ourselves busy," Madi smiled, her mom friend genes kicking in.

     "Enjoy the rest of your Saturday." She walked away from us and towards Mr. Solomon. As soon as the couple reached the entrance of the Great Hall, my friends and I took a collective breath.

     "Maybe we shouldn't talk about how hot we think our teachers are in front of them." Madi shrugged.

     I rolled my eyes and laughed, "Can I just say once again: I hate it here."