Welcome Home (Chapter One)

I tap my pen lightly against my desk, watching the seconds tick past on my miniature clock. Two more minutes until I could be reunited with my bed... and my husband, of course.

I lean against my hand, my eyes getting a bit droopy. It's been a hard week. I've done nothing but proofread and edit paragraphs from various writers so that they are primed for the papers. I have the worst headache... I wish coffee would just fix everything.

I log out of my computer and sling my messenger-style bag over my shoulder. I quickly walk out of my cubicle and rush to the elevator. I press the down-button a few times before getting in and starting to go to the ground floor. The soft music in the elevator was so annoying, as always.

After a minute, I finally meet the ground floor. I wave and smile at the receptionist, who was currently on a phone call. She waves back to me. I start towards the bus stop, which was about a block away. It got awfully chilly during the day. I should have brought a coat, like Elliot told me to do.

About two minutes later, I finally reached the bus stop. I sit on the metal bench, resting my bag on my lap. My fingers instinctively play with the small gold keychain near the front pocket. I look down at it, watching how the light reflects off of it. Elliot bought it for me when we first started dating. He got it from an artisans stand at the pier. I smiled, remembering that day. I remembered how sunburnt his shoulders and cheeks got, how he complained when sand got in his shoes, but that's what he gets for wearing socks and tennis shoes on the beach.

---

I finally arrive at our apartment, unlocking the door. "I'm home!" I call out as I open the door, dropping my bag. My nose became overwhelmed with a savory scent. A small hum comes from my throat, out of instinct. It smelled delicious, just like everything else that Elliot made.

"Welcome home, honey." I hear Elliot say from the kitchen. I was so happy to hear his voice. It was just the thing I needed to hear. I walk towards his voice, soon seeing his soft but muscular build. It was such a comforting sight.

"Mmm... smells good... what did you make?" I asked, draping my arms around his shoulders. He smiles and looks back at me. I nudge into his bicep with my cheek.

"I made some beef stew. Its almost done." Elliot says. He turns around and hugs me around my waist. He gives me a soft kiss on my forehead, which did not fail to bring a smile to my lips. "How was your day, love?" He asks with a warm smile.

I make a small pout. "So tiring... I have the biggest headache..." I groan. Elliot coos and brushes his fingers over my forehead.

"You poor thing... I'll go get you some painkillers and some water, alright? Go ahead and get comfortable on the couch." He says, pressing a kiss against my cheek. I nod and go over to the couch, laying down.

I love when Elliot takes care of me. It's so wonderful coming home to warm arms and kisses.

---

"How are you feeling, baby? Has the medicine kicked in yet?" Elliot asks.

"Yeah... Thank you..." I say, my voice a bit muffled from the multitude of blankets that Elliot draped over me some time ago. He smiles warmly at me, running his fingers through my hair. I close my eyes a bit. He always knows just what to do to calm me down.

"Well, dinner is all ready? Are you up for eating?" He asks me, looking into my eyes. I nod a bit.

"Mm... yes please..." I say as I sit up, taking off the blankets. We both stand up and walk to the table, Elliot continuing to serve up our dinners. I sit down at the table, waiting for him to bring me my bowl. He sets the bowl down in front of me, kissing the top of my head on the way. I look up at him with a smile before digging in.

---

"Thank you Elliot... That was so good..." I say, wiping off my mouth with a napkin. Elliot smiles widely.

"Good! I'm so glad. You do look really tired though... Do you want to go to bed?" He asks, taking my hand. I nod a little bit, my eyes getting droopy again. He nods back, helping me get up from my seat. He slides an arm around my waist, taking me to bed. I rest my head on his shoulder.

Once we got to our room, he lays me down on the bed. He kisses my forehead and lays next to me. I immediately snuggle up into his chest. I feel a hand on the back of my head. "Go ahead and get some sleep, darling. I love you." He says.

"Mh I love you too..." I say, getting very sleepy. This was my favorite way to end the day; in Elliot's arms, with a full stomach.

I slowly close my eyes, the rhythmic beating of Elliot's heart lulling me to sleep.