Chapter 3

I kept my face buried into the back of the Captain's jacket the entire way while he and Clara spoke. Apparently, the woman had taken Clara's key and my tiara was known as Mother Ginger. My body shook with a sudden sob, which caused the Captain to jolt. But I knew what Marie would tell me. Why cry for a mistake that is not your own? So, with grace, I pulled my face out of the back of the Captain's jacket and wiped away my tears.

I had never looked this weak and I wasn't going to start now. Soon we arrived at a magnificent castle. It was built on a surface surrounded by waterfalls and four bridges leading to four beautiful lands. Two pompous-looking men exited the castle as we got closer, slowly stopping. "Halt." The chubbier man tells us as I climb down from Darla. Carefully, I climbed onto the edge of the bridge and looked around. I felt like I was on top of the world right here.

"We need to get to the palace." The Captain tells them, even as I feel his eyes on me to make sure I don't fall. Holding on to the statues, I pull off my heels to feel the wall beneath me. "I'm sure you do, sunshine. But we have procedures around here." He proclaims as I was sprayed with water, a mist that collects around my waist and skirt. "I am Captain Phillip Hoffman and I demand you let us through." The Captain says and I smile a little, looking over my shoulder at him.

Phillip... What a wonderful name. I quickly cleared my voice as I climbed down and moved to stand in front of the two guards. "For goodness' sake, they're princesses." Phillip says in exasperation, earning more laughs and jokes about overindulging fathers. I cleared my throat and held my head high. "Would it help if I told you that the girl on that horse is the daughter of Marie Stahlbaum? And that my sister is Marie Stahlbaum?" I demand.

It took less than 5 seconds for the colour to drain from their faces and they began stammering apologies. They requested a moment for a few questions but I leaned close to them. "You have 30 seconds to open this door or I will make sure you are very uncomfortable working here." I hiss at them and they quickly lowered the drawbridge for us. Phillip climbed down from Darla only to lift me onto it so I sat side saddle. I scoffed at him as I slid my shoes back on.

"You are impossible." I whispered to him and he grinned widely. Phillip did make me think about things though. Clara was beautiful, even if she was only sixteen and Louise was about twenty and already had many a suitor lined up. And me. I sat at 18 and had a couple of charming men I didn't want waiting for me back home. Phillip reminded me of them. "Thank you." I tell him as he leads myself and Clara through to a stable.

Men took our horses and then he led us through the castle. Twists and turns and far too many stairs for me to be wearing the dress I was wearing. We finally stopped in an immaculate throne room. Four swan-backed chairs surrounding an area for a much larger chair at the head of the room. "Your Excellencies, may I present Miss Clara and Miss (y/n) Stahlbaum." Philip announces, only after he has the full attention of the nobles in the room.

I could tell they were nobles as they each sat on a throne. There were four but only three were filled. They each stood with gasps and stammering. "Is it true? It is true." The gentleman dressed head to toe in flowers was stammering before he gave a small bow to us. "I'm Hawthorne, Regent of the Land of Flowers." He introduces himself and I smile, curtsying back as was proper. The next gentleman to introduce himself was dressed a lot like me.

Ice and snowflakes and pieces of a perfect winter. "I am Shiver, Regent of the Land of Snowflakes, my ladies. An honor." He bows and I once again curtsy. I recognise the final woman and I walk closer to you. I had heard many a story about her. "You're Sugar Plum, Regent of the land of Sweets." I said to her and she looked rather startled that I even knew about her. "Marie once told me a story about you when I was unwell." I explained.

She was rather pretty and exactly as Marie had described. She gasps again and takes my face into her hands. "I never thought this day would come. Oh, tell us, we long for news." She says before moving her hands to my own. "How is our queen, dear Marie." She questions and my face falls. How was I to tell the woman I had only ever heard stories about that the woman who ruled with kindness and love, my lovely sister, was dead?

I didn't have to think about it, because Clara did it for me. "My mother, she's...she died." Clara whispers and I move over to wrap her up in my arms. All the Regents gasped, Sugar Plum looking the most distraught. "We are so sorry for your loss." Shiver says to us as he pats my arm. I nod a thank you. Clara was led away to a side room where the Queen's throne was kept. "Will you not go as well?" Philip questioned and I shake my head.

"I'm not Marie's daughter. So, I cannot be queen." I say softly to him before turning and exiting the room. As I made my way back to the stables, I stopped at a portrait of Marie. Sat upon her head was a crown, a tiara made of brightly coloured jewels. Jewels like Sapphires, orange opals, pink diamonds, and crystal clear diamonds. It was the crown Marie had given me for Christmas. The crown I would need more than I thought.

I turned and began running back to the throne room only stopping when I was once again faced with the three Regents and Clara. "Marie's...crown." I panted out, catching Sugar Plum's attention. "It went missing, stolen by some ingrates no doubt." She sighs and for a moment, I see something. Something that made me choose my next words carefully. "Pity. I should have brought it from the Stahlbaum home." I say looking at Clara.

"Marie left it to me." I admit. This was true but there was something about Sugar Plum that gave me great pause. She seemed to expel an aura that made me shiver in my dress. "Oh, Marie choose you to save us!" Hawthorne says, pulling me into a sudden hug. I could all but feel Sugar Plum fuming at me for having Marie's crown. "But I can't be Queen or a saviour. Because I'm not Marie's daughter." I say to them. 

I look over at Clara who shook her head at me. But then I shook my head and I turned to Clara. "Now, let's find this horrible little mouse that stole your key and get you home." I tell her as Phillip began telling the Regents that we ran into Mother Ginger and barely escaped with our lives. The other Regants were horrified and the Regant of Flowers made us promise that we will never go back to the land of Amusements. 

But the both of us knew that we each had a reason to go back. It was an impossible promise.