EPISODE 25: THE CHASE.

#SISTER_DEBORAH

Author: Samuel Frederick

EPISODE 26: THE CHASE.

__________

Why should an unknown lady take to her heels the moment she sighted me, if she isn’t (of course) guilty of a crime? I thought to myself, panting heavily, exhausted from the distance at which I’d chased the motorcycle. I was certain that the lady on the motorcycle was none other than Annabel, disguised in a dark hood, dark shades and a face-cap. I could recognize her dubious face at any point in time.

I halted by the roadside, amidst the intense traffic, watching the motorcyclist zoom off farther with the lady. I was so exhausted from running, and my legs wobbled, indicating just that.

Fortunately, I glanced behind me and saw the police officers’ car and Chief Etomi’s vehicle speeding towards me.

“Officers, that’s the lady. I am sure that is Annabel!” I shouted at the top of my voice, as their vehicles halted before me.

“Get in! Quick!” One of the officers instructed. I adhered hurriedly, hopping into theirs this time, instead of Chief Etomi’s.

The vehicle picked momentum after the officer ignited the engine. He sped up to cover the gap between us and the motorcyclist, whom surprisingly was still in sight with Annabel, thanks to the traffic ahead.

Halfway into the road with the sirens blaring loudly, still on the intense pursuit of the runners, Chief Etomi’s Hummer Jeep broke down just when we encountered traffic. The motorcyclist utilized it by taking shortcuts and using narrow lanes to escape farther. The traffic hindered us from pursuing them any further.

The three police officers and I stepped out of the van altogether, contemplating on whether or not to chase the motorcyclist on foot. Fabian suggested a nice idea instead. He walked to an elderly motorcyclist and pled with him to borrow us his bike. At first, the motorcyclist acted reluctant, but at the sight of the officers in their official vests, he gave in. He offered us his motorcycle, with faith.

Sergeant Bernard, the chief officer, steered the motorcycle to a fairly free lane and started the ignition. He gestured to one of his men to follow him, but instead, I popped out and sat behind the sergeant.

“Young man, what are you doing?”

“Assisting you, sir.” I responded confidently.

“You don’t even have any legal training. This is not child’s play. I hope you are well aware, boy?” The sergeant cautioned me, concerned.

I nodded. “I know, sir.”

Chief Etomi patted my shoulder and said calmly, “Be careful, my son.”

With that, the sergeant zoomed off. The traffic was quite easy to slither through, due to the motorcycle’s size; we crossed narrow lanes and shortcuts which led us back in our targets’ scope, in no time.

Something astonishing happened thereafter.