【Immortality】

Warm dawn light flitted through the curtains and danced along my face. My eyelids fluttered open, taking in my room around me. It was quite a mess, despite how much effort I put into keeping everything quite orderly. The evident signs of struggle were everywhere, but I would fix it after breakfast.

But I don't have to do it today, a voice whispered from the depths of my mind. I have an eternity now.

A slow smile spread across my face. Eternity. That was what I had given everything for. That is what Perenelle couldn't see. That is what I had killed her for.

I glanced down the hall at the engraved wooden closet door, holding her strangled body. I would have to find another place to put corpses other than my linen closet.

But again, that was something I could do after breakfast. I strode across the lavish carpet, avoiding the shards of glass scattered about the floor. I really did need to get sturdier vases, in case I have to murder my wife again.

I pushed aside the bathroom door, barely glancing at the mirror as I made my way to the toilet. I still generally looked like myself, I would always be Nicolas Flamel. But ever since I took the cure to mortality, something was different about me. Darkness had begun to seep through my eyes, cracking like glass across my skin. It happened last night, after Death took Perenelle. I was, somehow, not entirely human, but that sort of makes sense. I have ascended the life of a lowly mortal: I am for eternity. I will be there forever.

But an eternity is only worth it if it is a good eternity. There is one person left in this world who would keep it from being so. He could make it torturous. But his time would pass, and death would take him, too.

All I had left to do was wait for Dumbledore to die.