43. I can save him...but

The broken cries of the Alpha of the Lan pack echoed in the lush forests of the Wen territory. The man who was admired and feared, who was called ruthless and cold-hearted appeared utterly broken. The Lan pack members avoided looking at their Alpha because they were afraid of witnessing their Alpha breaking right in front of their eyes, losing himself bit by bit. Xuan was kneeling near Yibo and gently tried to pry apart Yibo's fingers that were holding onto Zhan too tightly. Xuan was afraid Zhan would be in pain because of the harsh grip. He didn't believe there wasn't a way to save Xiao Zhan. There had to be a way. "Yibo, we still have a few hours. Let's take Zhan home first." He spoke softly, hoping that Yibo was listening but the Alpha completely ignored his words latching onto his forearm harshly instead. "Xuan! You always have a s-solution, don't you? Help him, Xuan. He can't...can't leave me." The broken sobs that racked Yibo's body made Xuan flinch and he could do nothing but wrap his arms around his brother, offering him a shoulder to cry and hiding his own tears. "I can save him." The sharp feminine voice had everyone freezing and Yibo whirled his head around, his eyes latching onto Zi Yi.

"W-What did you just say?", Yibo questioned, trembling and Zi Yi met his eyes boldly repeating her words. "I can save him. I can save your mate, Wang Yibo." Surprised gasps left the people in the crowd and a heartbeat later a deep voice was heard. "You are a Wen. What if you try to finish what your brother started and hurt our Zhan even more?" The voice belonged to Wang Rong and eyebrows raised at the loathing that was detected in his tone. Wang Talu appeared shocked at his brother's intense reaction but the Lans were not. They were not surprised because they felt the exact emotions Wang Rong did. Fear, anger and helplessness. Xuan wasn't surprised either to see the ever quiet Rong glaring holes into Zi Yi because Xuan knew how much the enforcer cared for his Alpha pair. Xuan had seen Rong's lips curling at many stupid pranks Zhan played on him and Rong had once told Xuan how glad he was that Zhan had come into Yibo's life. Not only Wang Rong, everyone who cared about Wang Yibo was glad that Yibo had found Zhan. The man with just his presence seemed to make Yibo so happy, it was amazing. They had seen how lonely and jaded Wang Yibo had become over the years. It was as if Yibo only existed. Zhan had made Yibo live and for that the entire Lan pack felt indebted to Xiao Zhan. He had a special place in everyone's heart and it could be seen because the Lans were ready to do anything if it meant their Xiao Zhan came back to them.

Zhuocheng wiped a tear from his eye and looking at the sheer protectiveness etched on everyone's face for his brother, he was moved. All of this was for Xiao Zhan. They wanted Zhan back and apparently there was someone who could do it. "How can we trust you?", Zhuocheng found himself staring at the woman he loved and hated all the same with every breath he took and Zi Yi cast him an indifferent look before looking away.
Zi Yi moved her eyes away from her mate to hide the pain she felt at his distrust towards her. It had been so long since she saw those dark brown eyes shining with love and longing. But hadn't she made sure all these years that this was the only thing Zhuocheng felt for her? Hatred? She swept her eyes over the people who appeared hopeful and dangerous at the same time and gestured WenYan to bring her people out. The man left at once and only then did Zi Yi turn her focus to the crowd. "Your best bet at saving Zhan would be Wu Xize. The vampire blood could help Zhan heal a little from the inside but that's all it's going to do. You won't be able to save him with only his help. I am a healer and I can help Zhan. I was originally from the Qishan pack and my family comes from a long line of healers. Me and my people can save Xiao Zhan. If you are all going to let this chance slip away all because you are doubtful then, it's your mistake. I have nothing more to lose but you have everything at stake here, Wang Yibo. I promise I will save your mate if you do me two small favours. If I fail to do so, you can throw me to the rogues to die a painful death. I-" "Zhan's life is not something you bargain with, Zi Yi!!!!" The bellowing voice came from the crowd and when the people moved, Zi Yi saw Yubin walking towards her. Her brother was holding his abdomen, appearing pale and weak and Zi Yi saw a young woman supporting her brother closely. Yubin was struggling his legs trembling with every step he took and blood trickling down his nose. It had to be the blood link. It was making Yubin weak. No matter how weak Yubin looked, his eyes were filled with fiery determination and a warning. A warning to Zi Yi. "You say you can save him. Do it, Zi Yi. All these years, I have never asked you for anything. Even when you have failed to be a sister...a family to me..I've never hated you.  Today, I am begging you. Please save him."

Zi Yi saw the tears brimming in her brother's eyes and the underlying hatred in them. These words...they gutted her. Caused her heart wrenching agony. Her own brother. The one person she had cared about more than her own life, he was also against her. Zi Yi was questioning if all these years of hurting her loved ones was worth it. "Zi Yi, It's not just Zhan who is in danger. Your brother's life is also linked to Zhan. Do this for your brother and help our Zhan", spoke Jian Min, his voice hard. "I am ready to help him. All I want is for Yibo to-"
"I will agree to anything you want. Whatever it is.Please, Just help him. Save my Zhan." Zi Yi blinked rapidly and tried to control her emotions. She was a terrible person. Here was an Alpha who was ready to put his pride aside for the sake of his mate, on his knees and begging with her and it hurt Zi Yi. It hurt that she had to use this man's love for his mate for her own selfish gains. Unfortunately, she couldn't back out. She had decided to take this path a long time ago and she had to follow through. Even if her mate, her brother and these people called her a selfish, vindictive and cruel bitch. "I want my father's body. He was your opponent and his body might be your trophy but I will give him a proper funeral." She stated her first demand and Yibo replied instantly, "Done."  "There were people from the Wen pack who didn't take part in this fight today. There are Omegas and their young ones held captive here. I want the Yunmeng Jiang pack to take them in and care for them. They are not be punished for He Peng's stupidity." The second stipulation had people looking at Zi Yi with a different gaze and there was respect in their eyes. "The Wens have caused mayhem all these years and have destroyed so many families. You think they deserve to be pardoned?", Wang Haikuan's voice was hard and flat but Zi Yi wasn't fazed by the Alpha words. She squared her shoulders and turned to Wang Haikuan. "Those Omegas and their children are victims just like the people you are talking about. Qishan was also a victim and these people have been used by Wen Xiu and Wen He Peng for the last four decades. I want those people safe. They don't deserve to suffer any longer. The sooner the Jiang pack agrees to take them in, the sooner Xiao Zhan will be saved. So, what will it be? Is hurting some defenseless people more important than your brother's mate?"

Her gaze slid over everyone and finally she turned to face Wang Yibo. "Tell me, Wang Yibo. What's more important?" Her eyes met Wang Yibo's golden ones and Zi Yi arched an eyebrow at the Alpha who kissed his mate's head and stood up tall and proud. The same arrogance was back in Yibo's eyes and he pinned Zi Yi with a cold gaze. "Treat him. I agree to your terms. If the Jiangs refuse to protect these people, I will. I say this not as the Alpha of the Lan pack but as Wang Yibo. If my selfish actions are to taint my pack's reputation, I will step down from my position as the Alpha of the Lan pack. "Alpha!!Yibo!!" A chorus of gasps and Yibo's name was heard in the forest and Wang Zi Teng stepped forth just as everyone became silent. "You have the word of the Wang family. Your people will be safe. Treat my son's mate. Save him." The father and son met each other's gaze and Zhuocheng saw the respect in their gazes for one another. "The Jiangs will take them in", he boomed and even his father turned to him with surprise in his eyes. "The Yunmeng Jiang pack will take in the Omegas and their young ones. The ones who want to stay will be given a place to stay. The ones who want to leave can choose to go and the shelters under our command will give their full support. Save Zhan, Zi Yi. Both our brothers are in danger. The Lan pack members and the Jiang wolves howled their agreement and Zi Yi nodded her head in respect to both Wang Yibo and Zhuocheng. Her efforts were finally paying off.