Chapter 6 - the call

Shane's POV

We film a few more Unsolved episodes. Things are not awkward between us, per se, but we aren't as close as we were. Every time I think I think about how I ruined our friendship, I come close to tears.

I am alone in my apartment, doing nothing but thinking about him, when my phone rings. I plan to ignore it, but then I see the caller ID.

Ryan Bergara

What is going on? Ryan has barely spoken to me since we kissed, and now he's calling me? I pick up, my stomach in knots.

'Hello?'

'Shane? Is that you?' He's slurring his words slightly. Jesus, Ryan, its barely midday - why is he drunk?

'Yes. It's me.' I keep my words clipped, feeling angry at him for some reason.

'Oh Shane. I'm so glad it's you.' What is this guy talking about?

'Of course its me, dumbass. You called me. What do you want?'

'I want to speak to you, Shane. But not like this - I want you to be here with me.' There's a note of pleading in his voice.

' Ryan, you're drunk and I'm not in the mood to deal with it.' He can't ice me out after kissing so passionately, and then suddenly want to speak to me. It's not fair.

'Please, Shane. I know I'm drunk, it's the only way I would have to courage to do this. Please come and see me. It's important.'

What?

'Fine. I'm coming over to your place now.' Better just get this over with. Whatever this is.

'Thank you. I lo-. Bye' He hangs up.

Well that was fucking weird. If it was anyone else I would stay in the warmth of my apartment, but its Ryan Bergara. I may be mad at him but I'm still madly in love with him. I grab my coat and head on out.

It's about a twenty minute walk to Ryan's apartment, but it feels shorter than normal. I am already half way there, and I haven't even begun to figure out what to expect.

Maybe he wants things to go back to how they were? Maybe, maybe he wants to talk about the kiss? No. Stop it. Ryan said it didn't mean anything. End of story.

Even so, my heartbeat quickens and I walk a little faster. It's a busy road I have to cross next, but I'm too anxious to see Ryan to walk all the way to the pedestrian crossing. I'm thinking about our kiss, again, the way he pulled me to him and ran his hands through my hair. I step out onto the road, dreaming of his lips and his smile and his laugh.

Ryan is all that's on my mind. I'm thinking of him, and I realise too late I wasn't thinking of the traffic.

A car horn blares and I feel something hit my ribs, then it all goes black.