Chapter 11

Perhaps time passed, Beibhinn had no heed for it, trapped in her thoughts as black and hopeless as the caves themselves. Ruadhán was fading - in her heart she knew it to be so. An Bheitheach was mad, mad as a bull, and she dared not let herself be seen. She had not found any escape. None were coming to rescue them. She could only wait until eventually ... he won. 

Somewhere out there was Conn - their own brother and he would not aid them. Nor did he care. In the blind cell Beibhinn cried, longing for anything that would scatter or even dull the misery for some  brief moments. But sleep when it drifted in was fitful. 

A being watched her from the corner shadows. She could feel it there and could not run, for her limbs would not obey. And the creature drew nearer, but it was not An Beitheach, for in the shadows it shimmered slightly and the gleam of its garments was white. 

She slept, and woke herself with strangled screaming. Dozed again, and watched a line of gold spread on the floor where the door met the stone.

"Come out Vixen, if you wish to be fed," the voice was Maebh's. It was the first morning. No, how could it be? She would not know if it was.

"What now?" Beibhinn scowled against the light that came from the passage, lighting Maebh from behind. Her dress this day was of thick red fabric, stitched with twining gold.

"Do you wish to eat or starve?" said Maebh

"Does it matter?" Beibhinn got to her feet, "You will only bring me to him."

Meadhbh laughed without mirth, "As if I would!" she sneered, "As if I want you here! His little wild thing, so haughty and good." she snorted, "You look like a hag to me. Now, come, if you would not starve yet further."

The insult did not hurt her, any more than the pebbles her feet. She was tired. So tired, so hungry. So she stepped after Maedhbh without thinking. Through the passages they went on, and on further and upwards and sometimes the ground lurched beneath her feet in a way it had no business to. Perhaps she still dreamt.

They came at length, not to the great hall, but  to a curtain of the red stuff which made Maebh's gown. Beyond was a small chamber with a small table, and low woven seated chairs. Light and some warmth came through from some inlet invisible, and there was the sweet fragrance of gorse, as though they were outside. Upon the table was new bread -  where could that have come from?  Whortleberries in a carven bowl, golden butter and yellow milk, mead and honey whose makers droned outside.

Maedhbh sat and gestured at Beibhinn to do the same. Then she commenced her breakfast. Beibhinn seated herself and watched. Maedhbh cut bread and took slices indiscriminately, spread with butter and honey without any care.

Perhaps there is no poison here.

Beibhinn took bread and honey too, always with an eye to what Maedhbh ate. And Maedhbh, she realised, always had an eye to her.

"Meadhbh," said Beibhinn at length," I am not your rival,"

"Are you not?" said Maebh archly, 

"No! I do not wish to be here! You know that! You know that this is not my will!"

"You may think you are not," said Maedhbh and the note in her voice sent fear rising yet higher in Beibhinn's heart.

Then anger stirred within her, but it was only a spark. She had not energy to lift it to flame. "I do not want to be here." she said again, and the words wobbled. Perhaps Maedhbh would aid her, if it meant having that creature to herself. "Please. If you know of a way out," Beibhinn's voice sank to a whisper as she spoke, "Please, show it to me, and you will be rid of me. Is that not to our good? Both of our good?"

Maedhbh did not reply, but her face showed that she thought on the suggestion.

"A morning as fair as yourselves to you," said An Beitheach's voice, and he stepped into the room through the curtain.

Beibhinn fliched, suddenly cold. Had he heard? Meadhbh's eyes too flicked quickly to him. But he showed no signs of it. No irritation crossed his face which was bright with a smile as he crossed to the table and poured himself a drink. "This is my realtín's own little hall," he said, "And I have prevailed upon her to share it with you,"

Beibhinn nodded, trying to keep her face impassive. This change of mood following so fast upon yesterday's was a dangerous thing. 

"When you have done, come with me," said An Beitheach, "No. I do not mean you harm," he added. "Meadhbh shall come too, will you not," his smile was now turned upon Maedhbh, who returned only a pout.

A thiarcis, he is fair to behold.

"But do not be too long. I wish to show you something Vixen,"

"Well then, we are finished and shall come now," said Maedhbh, "I should hate to keep you and your stórín waiting,"

"Thank you Maedhbh," he said, the barbed words glancing off him like a dagger off stone.

****

Maedhbh and Beibhinn followed An Beitheach out through the curtain and along a tunnel which seemed to run relatively close to the surface, from time to time a beam of light fell from above, filled with dancing dust. An Beitheach lead the way with the bounding enthusiasm of a little boy.

What is he at? There must  be some trick but what?  The fay mood of the young man alarmed her almost as much as his silences and temper.

And then they came to a room with a studded door of heavy wood, but it was not barred, for it opened at his push.

Beibhinn caught her breath. There in a shaft of sunlight on deerskin and furs lay Ruadhán, his face still and pale as pale, save where the bruises showed.

Dead? No. Not dead. Not dead. 

Pushing roughly past An Beitheach she rushed to him, kneeling on the edge of the furs. He breathed still, he was only sleeping, or in a faint.

"Ruadh?" she shook his shoulder gently, heedless of the pair who watched from the door. And he opened his eyes. A smile came slowly onto his face. He moved to try to rise.

"I have treated my guests badly," An Beitheach stood over them. A flash of terror darted through Ruadhán's eyes. Ruadh - whom she had never seen afraid. 

"It has taken you some time to realise such," he replied, his voice faint but steady, despite what his face might have betrayed.

Beibhínn got to her feet, standing over her brother, fists clenching, though her head came only to the level of An Beitheach's shoulder.

"Beibhínn," said An Beitheach, " Stay with your brother henceforth if you wish." he gestured another pile of furs in the far corner. "I shall have whatever medicaments you require brought. And food too. Do not be afraid to ask for whatever you both wish."

Beibhinn did not reply, nor did Ruadhán, though he raised himself slowly onto his elbow.

Suddenly An Beitheach stepped around him. Coming close, too close, to Beibhínn, he whispered, for her alone: "Please, do not hold it against me that until now I have acted only as I was taught." Beibhinn stepped back a little, but he came in close again.

"Yesterday Vixen, you doubted the sincerity of my words. I shall show you they were true."

And then, just as abruptly, he turned and left.

Author's note:

Hmmm... this chapter is.....well, it's done. And it'll do for now. We shall be leaving the subterranean very soon and also getting some ACTION!!! (Woohoo!!)

IF I manage to keep motivated...

But, guess what motivates me? Votes!! And comments!!   *hint *hint

That's all folks, apologies for the questionable quality.

Heidi :)