A silent moment

Legolas POV

I still hadn't moved when I heard someone's footsteps approaching me from behind. Quickly I wiped away the tear, that revealed my true feelings, and turned around. I had expected some kind of guard or another guest who wanted to take a stroll in the nightly park, but whom I saw was no other than the man I thought had left me for good just two minutes ago.

"Legolas, my dear Legolas, finally I see you again!", Aragorn exclaimed and embraced me with his strong arms. Awkwardly I hugged him back, feeling not comfortable at all, since the events from so many years ago still hung in the air between us. But apparently he had decided to not mention them just now, so I tried to ignore the knot in my stomach too. Having done so, I relaxed into his embrace, because I was truly relieved and so so happy to see him again.

"I have thought of you every day", he said, when he had released me. "And now fate has decided to let us meet again after all!"

"I believe it did", I answered weakly. Sensing that he heard my bitter undertone I forced myself to a fake smile and added: "My mind was somehow circling around you too, no matter how hard I tried to think of anything else."

Which was half true, but he didn't need to know the whole truth, my real condition when it came to him. We sat on a nearby bench.

"Will you join the fellowship?", he asked me.

"If my skills are needed I would be honored."

"Of course they are, you are the strongest and most skilled elf I have ever met, and that means something, because I have been raised among your kin", he laughed.

Slowly, the fake smile was replaced by a real one.

"So, what is this Ring business about? My father just told me, that it is Saurons and very dangerous, but what can we do about it?", I asked.

"Your father is right, it is very dangerous, and Sauron wants it back. Our only chance to prevent his coming back to power is to destroy it. And that won't be easy"

He sighed, and was seemingly troubled about the subject. However, he soon emerged from his thoughts again and turned to me.

"Gandalf has entrusted it to a hobbit, can you believe that? I had to rescue him and his friend in Bree, but the Nazgûl wounded him anyways."

I smiled to myself. Neither humans, nor elves put much trust in these halflings, and it really was funny that Gandalf did. 

"Then I will be needed badly, if just to save their asses three times a day", I laughed, and Aragorn joined in.

We talked for a little more, when a thin figure emerged from the darkness near the palace. It approached us in a quick pace. Yet, I couldn't see who it was, because the person was wearing a black hood and hid its face. But Aragorn seemed to know exactly who it was and stood up. 

"What are you doing? I searched the whole palace to find you, but you where nowhere! This is our last night together, don't you treasure it?", an angry voice hissed from under the hood. And there my anger flamed up again. I knew exactly who this person was. 

"Arwen", he said calmly, but annoyed, "go back inside, I will come soon."

"No, he will come at once, I was just heading inside to get some sleep", I heard my voice speak. Aragorn turned his head to look at me, and in his eyes I saw hurt. 

"Forgive me, I didn't see you", Arwen said to me as I stood up. "Prince Legolas"

She nodded her head at me, which was supposed to be a bow, but I could feel her despise against me. Suddenly she smiled, and it hurt even more. I turned to go, not looking at either of them again. I didn't want to see her anymore, how she reached up to him to kiss him, how she put her hand on his cheek, to make the ring glitter in the light from the window, how she had her eyes open to watch me, because she wanted to see my pain. 

I had seen the ring. And the betrayal felt more painful than I could ever have imagined. 

Arwen POV

We went to the little bridge, our secret hiding place, our destination whenever we wanted to be alone with each other. I held his hand and walked as close to him as possible. Now that he needed to leave again, I was so scared, that he would never come back. That had been the reason why I had been so mad earlier, I didn't want to lose him. 

"A si i-Dhúath ú-orthor, Aragorn. Ú or le a ú or nin (Until now, the Shadow does not master. Not over you and not over me)", I whispered in his ear. 

He regarded our reflection in the water, while holding my hands in his. I enjoyed the silence, and I treasured this moment so much. It would be our last for a very long time.

"Renich i lú i erui govannem (Do you remember the time when we first met)?", I asked him after a while. He looked into my eyes and answered:

"Nauthannen i ned ôl reniannen (I thought I had entered a dream)."

"Gwenwin in enninath... (Long years have passed)", I reflected and trailed off. "Ú-'arnech in naeth i si celich (You did not have the cares you carry now)."

"Núma..."

He lifted my chin and his kiss was featherlight. 

The last dialogue is taken from the film and I don't own any copyright. This is all the work of Peter Jackson and his team and I don't want to take any credit from their work.