39)

Emily's POV

I looked around the room, inspecting the many vials, each organized neatly on the many shelves. Each of them was of different colors from a light blue to a pure black, a bright orange to a transparent liquid.

"These are serums." Harrison stated as he pulled a vital out of its spot, "Truth serum, peace serum, stimulation serum. They have it all."

"W-what for? How did they even get all of these?" Uriah asks, "I mean, should they even have these?"

"I don't know." He drifts off as his eyes continued to scan the room.

My eyes wandered around the room in amazement, such a narrow hallway had led to such a large room. I shook my head, we have to focus on the task at hand, we can't afford to waste anymore time.

"Is there another way out of here? We have to find the kids."

"This looks like an exit," Uriah says as he approaches a glass panel, "But it looks like it's blocked off by the wall-"

He stops in front of the door and just as he does, the door slides open, along with the wall behind it.

"Okay," He drawls, "Forget what I just said, it's an exit."

"Alright then, let's go." Harrison says as he lets me out first.

TIME SKIP

We walked down yet another similar looking hallway. We were finally here, the holding cells.

"Kids!" I yelled as soon as I saw them.

"Hold up." Harrison calls out just as I was about to approach Maci's cell, "This doesn't feel right. Why would they leave their cells unguarded?"

I turn to hear Tobias and Eric both banging their fists against the glass panel as Seth points behind us, but their yells and screams muffled by the glass.

"They're telling us to go." Uriah managed to make out.

"Emily, let's go!" Harrison says, reaching out for my wrist.

Suddenly, I feel an arm tug me away from him. The arm wraps around my neck as I felt a metal ring from on the side of my head. Uriah and Harrison immediately raised their guns and aimed it at the man who was holding me hostage. Several other guards surround us, pointing their guns at Uriah and Harrison.

"Drop your guns or I'll shoot her." Fuck, it was Ray. "Did you not hear me? I said, drop your guns!" He pushes his gun harder into the side of my head.

Uriah glances at Harrison, waiting for him to give him the signal so that he knew what to do. Harrison lets out a sigh of defeat, before nodding at Uriah and dropping his gun to the floor and raising his arms in surrender.

"What did you even say to make convince them to let you go, Ray?" Harrison asked.

"It was easy." Ray scoffs, "I know how to win this war.

"Oh, that's rich." I laughed, "Do you really?"

"I know someone who can." He says with an evil grin before ordering the guards, "Take them away." before adding, "Have fun rotting."

TIME SKIP

"Emily, are you okay?" Evelyn came into my cell. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to attack, but I had to."

"Where's Uriah and Harrison?" I demanded.

"They're fine. I won't touch them." She pauses, "I know much they to you, so I swear, I will leave them alone."

"Look, you have to make peace with the Allegiant. If not for yourself or your people, for the children. We can't keep living like this." I say.

"No. Johanna had made her choice, I never wanted war. At least now that you're here, I can carry on with the plans knowing that we're all safe."

"What plans?" I asked.

"I know you're angry with me and I get it. I'm just... I never meant... this is so hard for me to do so, I don't want to keep you or them here." She stutters.

"Then, don't. Let us out." I said.

"I can't," She lowers her head, "I have responsibilities. One day, you'll understand that, but right now, I need you to stay here. I'm going to finish this, one way or another."

"What? How are you going to finish this?"

I was about to follow her but quickly pinned down by Ray. "Don't worry, honey. You won't have to stay here for long anyway."

"What are you even talking about?" I scoffed.

"She has decided. She's going to use the memory serum. Chicago's going to forget its own name." He smirks.

"What?!"

"Evelyn, no! stop! Don't do this!" I try to escape but Ray shoves back in my cell before punching me in the face. Then, I kicked him out of the cell when guards poured into the room, each trying to hold me down as I struggled to free myself from their grip.

One of the guards swung the butt of their gun at me, which connects with my forehead. The blow was big enough to send me to the floor. A sharp sound courses through my ears from the blow. Before I knew it, the same guard sends one more hit that lands at the side of my head, knocking me out.

TIME SKIP

"Emily? Emily!" I shot up as I remember the ear-piece. They'd missed it.

"Zeke?" I spoke, pressing down so I can hear better.

Nothing. "Zeke! Lynn!"

"Emily? Thank god."

"Lynn! Can you hear me?!"

"Emily, get ready. We're getting you out."

"Lynn, what-" "All units please assemble at the hall immediately."

Suddenly as the guards were running down the hallway, my cell door opened. Well, I gotta find the others.