━━ 𝘣𝘪𝘨 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘴

𝐁𝐎𝐊 𝐈, 𝐊𝐀𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐋 𝐗𝐕

big little lies

AURORA WATCHED AS THE light of a lifelong dream razed itself to shadow

AURORA WATCHED AS THE light of a lifelong dream razed itself to shadow. A dying star blinking out in the night, right before her eyes. Many a time had her own hopes and dreams been battered and shattered, but never before had the cruel rocks of reality broken her in the way they had Lancelot. His fierce longing for knighthood would not reach fruition, all because of a needless rule their king had long ago etched into stone; only noble sons could take up the honor, and Lancelot was anything but.

From the moment she first learned of it, Aurora believed it to be a ridiculous and offensive law. How the guardianship of the land could only ever be entrusted to those of noble birth, as if one's societal standing determined adamantine loyalty. To be a noble son meant little in her eyes, for it was no secret that man could always be shifted by their own greed; the promises of diamonds and gold could always buy traitors, no matter their station. Because of this Achilles heel, she believed that the heart was all that should have mattered, and she would certainly trust Lancelot du Lac's heart over a great many of Camelot's knights and knights-to-be.

Aurora wished nothing more than for Uther Pendragon to see as she did.

When she looked upon the man seated across the way, she saw a drive and passion far greater than a thousand armies could ever possess. A safer and more secure Camelot, be it from within the city walls or the front lines of war. Hope, a future, trust that could never be broken.

She wished, but such wishes were no more than castles in the air; she knew all too well that Uther would never change, and good men like Lancelot were left to suffer for it.

"How are you doing, Lancelot?" Breaking the silence of the otherwise vacant chamber (Gaius was off tending to patients in the town and the Lord alone knew of Merlin's whereabouts), Aurora gave voice to her mind's seemingly perpetual echo. "Not the injury, but... the other thing. Can't have been easy."

Hesitation like a vice gripped his tongue as he tried to string his thoughts coherently together, feeling too much all at once. "I... I've spent my entire life working towards this dream and now that I know it's out of reach... I don't know what to do with myself."