I: Streetz

Marli Nicole Winters (Nikki)

I woke up in pain from my waist down. Reaching over to my sister's side of the bed, I acknowledged that it was empty.

She must be in the bathroom.

I thought to myself. Getting out of bed, I instantly felt it difficult to stand. My cothes were soaked. Did I pee on myself? I looked down to see blood all over my clothes. I don't remember my period being this heavy. As i became more awake, the events of the previous night began to intrude my mind... His hands all over me, his lips touching mine, his body on top of me, the drugs he made me take. The rim of my eyes became blurry with tears as I thought about what happened. Shit got so hectic that I had to send my little sister to the downstairs apartment. Why did he have to hurt me and take away my innocence? After calming down a little, I slowly undressed myself and started to strip the sheets off my mattress. Once I cleaned the room a little, I took a shower. The hot water eased my muscles and the pain a bit.

~

After getting dressed and strapping on some Kotex, I quietly stepped out of my bedroom into the small, 2 bedroom apartment i shared with my mom, her numerous boyfriends, and my sister. I was the only one here. I went to get my sister from the neighbor's apartment on the lower floor.

"Are you hungry? " I asked her as we made our way back up to our place.

She shook her head, no. "I ate at Mrs. Josephs."

I exhaled, relieved that i didn't have to go through the troubles of feeding her until later.

As soon as we walked through the door of the place we call home, we were greted by the strong scent of weed. Which only meant my mom and her boyfriend was back. I debated on whether I should tell my mom about her no good boyfriend or not. Out of all the men she brought through here, he was the only one who tried something as bold as that. A part of me feared what her reaction would be, and the other half hoped she would see this is a sign to better herself for her children.

I walked into the kitchen where they were at. He looked up at me and smirked as he sparked up a blunt. The moment our eyes met, I looked away.

"You wanna hit?" he asked nonchalantly, referring to the blunt.

I ignored his ignorance and turned towards my mother. He eyes were slightly low and red ; she wasn't sober, but she wasn't at her peak - perfect.

"Go in the back Maya." I instructed my little sister.

She skipped to the bedroom that we shared, clueless of what was happening.

"Ma ..." I hesitated. "Can I talk to you?"

She took a drag from her cancer stick and nodded.

" ... In private, please? "

" Whatever you say to her, you can say around me. " Her temporarily boyfriend budded in.

"You needa mind your business." I snapped. There was no holding back now, he already did the worse, what more could happen?

He slightly chuckled at my response and continued smoking.

"Watch your mouth Nicole. You will respect Brian and I as long as you live in my house" My 'mother' warned, calling me by my middle name.. As if that scared me.

At this point, my blood was boiling. Its like all the anger I've been carrying since my dad walked out had built up and reached its highest point possible.

"DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!" I yelled, slamming my fist on the table, making my mom jump because I caught her off guard. "YOU HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING BUT MAKE MY LIFE HELL SINCE DAD LEFT. DO YOU THINK BEING SPRUNG OUT ON DRUGS IS GOING TO HELP YOU?!? DO YOU THINK HAVING A DIFFERENT NIGGA IN YOUR BED EVERY NIGHT IS GOING TO HELP YOU?? NO! YOU ONLY THINK ABOUT YOURSELF! AND YOU WANT ME TO RESPECT YOU? AND THIS DUDE YOU FUCK--"

Before i could finish my sentence, i felt a stinging sensation across my face. Did this nigga just hit me? I lifted my hand up to my face trying to process what just happened through my brain. Without thinking twice, i charged after him, only to be thrown across the room moments later.

I slowly got up from the floor and made my way over to the drawer where all the knives were kept. I heard him yelling in the distance as i roughly searched for a blade. I couldn't understand anything that was going on, i blanked out. I was ready to kill this dude and the only thing that stopped me was the little tug on the bottom of my shirt. I looked down to a teary eyed Maya.

"Mama.. " She called out to me in between sobs. "Please can we leave. I don't want him to hurt you nomore."

I softened up looking down at her chubby, innocent face. She reached her tiny arms toward me and I picked her up, walking in the living room where my mom's boyfriend was now passed out with my mom over him crying.

"LOOK WHAT YOU DID MARLI!!" she cried. "GET OUT! LEAVE MY BABYGIRL HERE AND GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!"

I looked at her like she was crazy. I was planning on leaving anyway, but ill be damned if I leave my baby sister here. She looked so pathetic choosing a man over her own child. But I was done with her, as far as im concerned, I have no mother or father.

I took maya upstairs and packed all we needed in a large duffel bag. Going to my dresser, i pulled out a stack of cash which consisted of what I've been saving the last past two years. I counted up $789.70 and placed it in the bottom of my bag.

"Come on Maya." I grabbed her hand and we left the bedroom. We stepped into the living room to see both my mom and her boyfriend passed out on the floor. I shook my head as we left the apartment complex.

"Where we going?" Maya asked after about 10 minutes of walking.

"Do you trust me?" I asked her.

She looked up at me with a confused expression. "What's that mean?"

"Do you think I'll let something bad happen to you?" I rephrased myself.

"No. "

"Ok, so you trust me. Don't worry about where we going. As long as you're with me, you're safe."

We continued to walk in silence until we reached our destination. The only place I could think of - this old abandoned house I used to come to when my mom and dad would argue.

"Mama, I'm scared. " Maya cried as i layed our blankets across the floor.

"I know baby, but this is all I can do right now. I promise things can only get better from here, okay?" I assured her.

She nodded her head as tears escaped her eyes. I hated that she had to go through this at such a young age, but this is life.

We laid on the blanket and i pulled her close to me while she snuggled against my chest.

"I love you Maya. "

"I love you too Sissy." She kissed my chin and moments later she fell asleep.

That night I made a promise to myself to only let things get better. I had my baby sister depending on me. And thats exactly what I did, I made things better. I finally took the offer a kid from my school has been pressuring me about and started slangin'. Within two months, I had my own place, which was in my bosses name, and hired a personal teacher for Maya. I became addicted to fast money and eventually made a name for myself - Nikki. That's how I was introduced to the streetz.

Soooooo... What ya think? :)

Thanks for reading :)

& don't forget to COMMENT, VOTE, AND ADD TO YA LIBRARIES!!