Chapter 17

For Taehyun, relationships were never something that he needed. He learnt to survive without anyone loving him or showing him how to love and he thought that love itself was something temporary, and non-existent.

He did not really pay any heed to how handsome the man was when he slept with him the first night he had met him at the bar. True, he wanted the man to stay longer the next morning, and was disappointed when he left but Taehyun did not really think of him again until he saw him the second time, standing by the ocean during the party and that was when his heartstrings tugged. The moon was huge, a glowing disk in the sky like a stage light, surrounded by twinkling stars, and the moonlight reflected upon the man's features, making him glow. The man was ethereal, and Taehyun was taken breathless. The view itself was astounding but the man standing there made it even more mesmerising and Taehyun found himself walking towards him. He did not know what he was going to say but his feet had a mind of their own, getting closer to him with every step. The night sky was reflecting in his dark eyes, the moon and stars shimmering, and Taehyun felt himself call out the one word that he didn't know was going to change his life - 

“Beomgyu?”

At first, Taehyun purely wanted friendship from the other man. He just wanted to see him, again and again, for no possible reason. He knew he fucked up when he suggested the idea of friendship with benefits. However, he wanted to try again which was why he begged Jay to take him to café.

He was so glad he did that, because then they started a friendship, a relationship he started to treasure. Taehyun also found himself being constantly nervous in the presence of the older man. When Beomgyu turned up at his doorstep, eyes tinged red like had been crying, Taehyun felt his heart drop. He felt a need to comfort the man standing before him. However, when Beomgyu pulled him, joining their lips together, Taehyun lost all his self-control. Taking him to bed, losing himself in him. When the older man wanted a friend with benefits relationship, Taehyun was all for it. Out of all his sexual expedites, Beomgyu was the best. No one had made him feel the way Beomgyu had made him feel. There was a certain sort of vibe with him, a certain comfort level with him and he was enjoying each and every sexual encounter with him.

Until things took a turn, until Taehyun realised that somewhere, somehow, he started caring about the man.

Taehyun did not believe in love. Maybe it was because his mother had left him, leaving him broken. The day imprinted on his mind as he remembered holding onto her leg when he was just ten.

“Mom, where are you going? Don’t leave me.”

However, she just shook him off, picking up her bags and getting into the car which was being driven by another man as Taehyun cried from the doorway. She did not even call to ask how he was doing, did not even return back, not bothering to even visit him.

Didn’t people say a mother’s love was the most important? If his own mother did not love him, why would anyone else. If she could leave, so could everyone else.

Taehyun never got to see what love looked like, always sleeping with tears in his eyes, listening to his mother and father shouting at each other about some new problem. Waking up to an empty large house that made him more lonely. When his mother left, Taehyun tried to turn to his father for company and comfort. He wanted to fix his broken self. However his father was always busy with work, and never had any time to spend with Taehyun. But Taehyun understood, work was his distraction to stop being upset over his wife leaving him. Just like how dancing became his distraction, his passion.

Taehyun could feel himself isolating from everyone, but his life changed when he went to school and met Jay. The one boy who was persistent in becoming his friend. Who showed love still existed, through friendships. Jay had stuck by him through all his hardships, had put up with his tantrums and had understood him when Taehyun had his moments where he just wanted some space.