Wake Me Up When September Ends

Summer has come and past

The innocent can never last

Wake me up when September ends

It's a misty and miserable night in Seattle on the first day that Meredith Grey had kissed Addison Montgomery. The rain had been pouring down on them for the entire evening, and the light had drained itself from the sky, without the riveting colors of sunset presenting themselves due to the clouds which surrounded the sky. When their lips finally touched, and their hands found each other, embraced, over their mist-chilled cheeks, they were finally warmed again.

Like my fathers come to past

7 years has gone so fast

Wake me up when September ends

Just for a moment... For a long, and horrible, and harrowing moment, Meredith thought that her time on this earth, and therefore her time being alive with Addison had come to an abrupt, and explosive end. The bomb went off unexpectedly, projecting her into the hallway, and she hardly held on through the pain but she did, and then when she got off the elevator and all of her friends were taking care of her, all she wanted was Addison, and they all understood and went and got Addison for her.

Here comes the rain again

Falling from the stars

Drenched in my pain again

Becoming who we are

The happiest time in Meredith's life so far is when she and Addison and Doc got to spend time together. The dog that she asked Addison to adopt with her was their pride and joy, and he always went on walks with them every morning, on the Tiger Mountain trail. And then he got cancer, or she supposes, perhaps he had always had it. She and Addison held onto his hand as he died peacefully at the vet's office, and then they both went to the hospital prom together, decked out in black, and in red, and in silver.

As my memory rests

It never forgets what I lost

Wake me up when September ends

Meredith's father, Thatcher Grey has come by the NICU to visit his granddaughter eight times in the last seven days, and yet, she hasn't visited Meredith at all in the past seven years. It shouldn't make Meredith as miserable as it certainly does, which is why she finds herself falling apart in Addison's arms in the rocking chair, with her best friend stroking up and down her back as she cries her eyes out over her shoulders all afternoon.

Summer has come and past

The innocent can never last

Wake me up when September ends

It saddens Meredith when Addison is upset but she won't open up to her, or lean on her for support. She knows that Addison has some scars of her past that she's not ready to share about yet, and she has no reason not to trust Addison, or to get jealous, but Meredith does get a bit jealous when she sees Addison talking to Callie. She's glad that Addie has a friend she can rely on, just like she has Cristina who unconditionally loves her. And she's very glad that Addison doesn't feel so alone anymore.

Ring out the bells again

Like we did when spring began

Wake me up when September ends

Addison wakes Meredith up with some morbid thoughts once she's decided against drowning herself, due to the unwillingness to spend an afterlife in the fake-hospital room trapped endlessly with her mother. She told her she'd buried her next to Doc on Derek's land, and that she'd have built a house for herself next to it, just so that she could be close to her lover. Meredith thinks that all these things are incredibly sweet and sensitive of her girlfriend.

Here comes the rain again

Falling from the stars

Drenched in my pain again

Becoming who we are

Children are the furthest thing from Meredith's mind as of late, but Addison knows that she, herself, is getting older. So they go to L.A anyway, because Addison wants to introduce her partner to her Los Angeles friends who were once her medical practice best friends in New York. Addison turns out to be tragically and ironically infertile, and Meredith turns out to be developing a uterus that is incredibly hostile (because she got tested too, by Naomi, just for the sake of it).

As my memory rests

But never forgets what I lost

Wake me up when September ends

It's a shotgun wedding, and everyone knows it, but Meredith and Addison decide that if Cristina and Burke are about ready to go for it, when why not them go for it, too? They nearly elope a few times before the ceremony, but they never get to it, and then Burke ends up breaking up with Cristina anyway. The three of them end up piling into the plane and heading on their previously planned double-date honeymoon, and as Cristina's luck ends up having it, she meets a very cute girl at the swimming pool named Teddy Altman there, and she decides that she'll move back with her, after.

Summer has come and past

The innocent can never last

Wake me up when September ends

Sometimes people ask them if it's weird for them when Derek finally moves on from them, and he starts dating a scrub nurse named Rose that they all work with, and Mark even ends up dating Meredith's little sister and junior colleague, Lexie Grey. And they always explain that it isn't, and that it's just life, and that they are both happy for them. And when Addison's brother comes up for a surgery to Seattle Grace, the pile of them all go to Joe's together for the occasion.

Like my fathers come to past

20 years has gone so fast

Wake me up when September ends

After George's father dies in the hospital, it's incredibly tragic to see George O'Malley finally pass away in the hospital, also. He ends up being a hero, but everyone already knows that, and even after his funeral, where Meredith and Addison spend the entire time holding hands, and even joking and laughing, they always keep talking about him in a good way. And they imagine that in some way, somehow, that this makes him incredibly happy.

Wake me up when September ends

The next happiest day of Meredith and Addison's life is the day when their shared adoption application for Zola Montgomery-Grey finally ends up coming through. They'd been trying for so many years at this point, and after the shooting, and after all of the other tangles and tragedies, they finally ended up starting a family together. Addison put the crib together, while Meredith assembled all of the laundry. And that's how they all ended up living happily ever after together.

Wake me up when September ends

Twenty years on from their first anniversary, Meredith and Addison are still going strong together. They have four kids together, Zola, Henry, Bailey, and Ellis. They're considering getting a puppy, and maybe even adopting a kitten. They live in their dream home, which they had built together to their exact specifications. They've attended countless weddings, parties, and surgeries. And they're only now, just getting started.