Chapter |4| The Heartbroken Wolf

L O L A ' S   P. O. V

I saw him again last night. Expect this time it wasn't in the depths of my terror struck nightmares, it was in my dreams.

The fragment of hopeless false reality that rarely visited me. I remembered it so vividly now.

The summer filled meadow that was filled with plethora of daisies and lilies.

The birds sang overhead, whistling their merry time, whilst the river quietly raged in its undisturbed rush. I lay on the fresh green grass, the scent of mint tinged within the deep flowery mess.

He hovered over me as I gazed at the goddess herself, up above. A flower tucked gravely behind his ear, the softest of smile illuminating bright on his face. Then he murmured it. Those three words that I had longed to hear from my mate forever.

"I love you." As he sealed his promise with a kiss, I heard the sound of the final piece fall into place and my life was complete.

If only. I stared at my red rimmed eyes in the bathroom mirror. Breaking up with Adam, the aftermath, it had all hit me harder than expected.

I couldn't go down like his. My parents would know something was wrong in an instant and although my cuts from yesterday had healed overnight, the fear, the panic, still lingered beneath my cheery facade.

"Come on. You can do this." With that sprinkle of emotional praise, I left my room, only to smack face first into a hard bare chest. Again.

"Do you just wait until I'm leaving my room ?" Lucien's smug grin curled up even wider and he crossed his arms over his chest, causing his bulging muscles to seem even bigger.

Holy shit. Licking my lips, I quickly glanced away. He laughed deeply, and my cheeks flamed red in response.

I felt him lean in closer, gently push away my hair and lower his mouth to my ear. "How are you going to handle seeing me actually naked?"

I recoiled and choked out a laugh. "Well, unlucky for you but that won't be happening anytime soon."

He winked. "We'll see." And left me gaping openly on the corridor as he walked away, whistling a merry tune.

"Lola!" I recovered quickly, sensing the fear tinged in Sabine's voice.

"What's happened? Are you okay?" She rushed over and gripped my hands. The look she wore was so familiar to me now. It was the kind of the look people gave you when they didn't want to tell you the bad news they had.

"I'm fine, your parents are fine and your brothers, it's..." Her eyes trailed away from me as she gazed off into the distance. Nostrils flaring, at the new scent to arrive, and her eyes drew dangerously dark.

"Mate." I heard a low growl echo from the end of the corridor.

"Mate." Sabine murmured softly, and she walked past me as though I was a ghost, drifting closer and closer towards the shadow that lingered in the dark.

As he stepped into the light, I noticed the ruffle of his dark blonde hair, the piercing nature of his green eyes and recognised him also immediately. Tripp. Lucien's beta.

A door clicked open in the background. "Did I just hear..."

"Shh." Lucien stilled, startled and gazed at me in open awe.

"What's..."

"Look." I whispered, afraid to break the delicate balance of the moment. He drifted besides me, so close I could feel his body heat radiating off his body.