Prologue

"Nathan, you know it wasn't her so leave her alone," my mum warned my brother. He huffed before finally giving in and stepping away from me. It was the last day of the summer holidays. After six weeks, I was finally starting at my new school. I was dreading it because I didn't know anyone that was going to the boarding school in London. But while I feared being a loner, I was looking forward to the fresh start.

I lived in Manchester with my parents and my two brothers. Nathan, who was eight years old, was the youngest and the most irritating. Joshua was sixteen years old and he kept himself to himself. I was fourteen years old and for the first time in my life I would be living without my parents.

"Have you packed everything?" my mum asked me once Nathan had stormed off to his bedroom. "Yes. I'm ready to go," I replied and she smiled. "It's going to be hard for the boys, you know? Not having their sister around will be strange," my mum told me, taking a sip from the cup of tea she had in her hands. "I'm sure they'll cope. And I'll be back in the holidays." My mum sighed heavily as she looked out of the kitchen window. She wasn't her usual self. I pinned it down to my moving out.

"I'll miss you, Katie," she said, returning her gaze to me. "I'll miss you too, Mum," I replied and she sighed again. I knew that she didn't want me to be without her. Well, not since the last of my treatment. I was diagnosed with acute myeloid Leukaemia early last year. After about six months of chemotherapy, I was ready to get my life back on track. I was lucky to have survived, I knew that. So now I had a different attitude to life. Live everyday like it's my last.

My name is Katie Johnson. And I beat Leukaemia.