Tips for Band Camp- pt 1

When I went to band camp, I was unprepared. I got no tips on what to bring or what to do. So here are some of my tips. 

Lets start with shoes. Bring comphy yet practical shoes. Things like normal sneakers are the best. My favorite pair of shoes at that time were my black Converse. 

Don't wear converse. They have those 2 small holes in the side which collects turf. If you don't practice on an actual football field, then converse are just fine. I loved them for marching. 

And always tie your shoes tight. They may slip off or get turf in them when your marching and let me tell you, turf in the shoe is bothersome. 

Wear appropriate clothes while your at it. I'm not talking about appropriate as in no tank tops like school. 

Wear a tank top. Wear shorts. 

Its gonna be so hot you're gonna think you are melting. 

Bring sunglasses and plenty of water. Even if you have glasses and can't normally wear sunglasses, find a pair that fits over your existing glasses or get some clip-ons.

Trust me on this. There will be sun in your eyes. 

Talking about sun- wear sunscreen and deodorant. You are gonna sweat. A lot. And you are gonna be glad that you had deodorant on.

AND PLEASE WEAR SUNSCREEN

A hot sun is going to be shining on you for several hours a day. I had the back of my neck get burnt. If you're a saxophone player, make sure to put some on the back of your neck so you don't get an odd neckstrap tan. 

I suggest bringing medicine for headaches. Or something similar. You might not need it but for 3 days straight I had on and off headaches that hurt so bad I wanted to cry. Same if you have pre-existing injuries that randomly hurt. I suggest bringing pain meds if you need them. But make sure your director allows you to so you don't get in trouble for having them. 

I will give more tips later on but these are the ones I could think of at the time.