Seven

Lydia's head throbbed, and it was hard for her to open her eyes. As her stomach churned from nausea, her head spun from dizziness. Someone had hit her from behind, and she wished to blazes she could have seen the dirty-rotten coward because she would have fought for her life no matter what the consequences.

Once she had packed the things in her room and headed out of the hotel to stay with her sister, she stepped past an alleyway and felt the blow to the back of her head. Now, as she fought to stay awake and keep the contents in her stomach down, she struggled to gaze around the small room.

The low burning fire was the only light in the room, but she could see there wasn't much to this room, anyway. A slight breeze coming from the cracked window let her know she was held in a rundown shack. She couldn't see any other door, although there were a few heavily shadowed walls, so she was certain there had to be another room somewhere.

She was lying on a blanket which was the only thing between her and the floor. Her body ached from the cramped position.

Taking slow and deep breaths, she listened for any moments around her. The popping of the fire was the only thing she heard. She doubted she was alone. Why would someone kidnap her and not stick around? Yet... she didn't know why anyone would want to take her in the first place. Her family wasn't wealthy. None of her sisters had anything worth a lot of money. Obviously, her kidnapper must have mistaken her for someone else.

Lydia's hand trembled as she lifted it to the back of her head, brushing her fingers near the pain throbbing from her skull. Her hair was matted with a damp, sticky substance. Inwardly, she groaned. Blood. Hopefully, she hadn't lost too much of it.

She wasn't sure how long she'd been unconscious, but when she left the hotel, it had still been light. And now, judging from the cracked window, night had fallen. Even if she wanted to escape this place, she wouldn't find her way back to Stumptown. Perhaps that was the kidnapper's plan. Whoever had done this must know that she was just a visitor in this town. And now she wondered if the kidnapper was the person who ransacked her hotel room.

Groaning, she dropped her hand back to her lap. She was probably thinking too much about this. Sadly, this was the only thing she could do.

She glanced toward the fireplace again. Several large logs were stacked near the hearth. If she didn't throw on another log soon, the fire would be out, and staying in this place without light wasn't something she wanted to do.

Shifting on the ground, she scooted slowly toward the fireplace. The muscles in her body screamed in discomfort, but she ignored their protests. Keeping the fire going was more important than aching muscles. At least she didn't think she had any broken bones. She should be relieved about that. However, her ankle felt swollen, so she was certain she had twisted it after she'd been knocked out.

Once at the hearth, she picked up a log and threw it on the fire. She blew into the embers, helping to stroke the fire. Soon, the flames licked at the new log and caught on fire. It didn't take long before the heat expanded in the room.

She scooted away from the fire and back to the blanket. With the larger blaze, she was able to see more in the room. She'd assumed corrected the first time. It was a one-room shack, and she was the only one in it. Still, she wondered if the person who kidnapped her was waiting outside. They wouldn't have been foolish enough to leave her here alone.

Leaning carefully against the wall, she closed her eyes. Her sister would be worried about her when Lydia didn't come back as promised. Hopefully, Victoria would have her husband find the sheriff and search for the missing sister. Of course, if Alan got the sheriff involved, that meant Nicholas would be there.