Chapter 20: Quest Complete

There's no way we can out run this thing, thought Krajek, watching the precious lead they had on it evaporate quickly even though the creature had to deal with obstacles like trees, rocks and the swampy terrain.

He kept giving it everything he had, running until they reached an area where the trees were thinner. Once there, Krajek stopped and focused, taking out a large object from his spatial realm. As he jumped into the grumbling beast, he called out to his companion. "Mordain, get in!"

Already running, the Jeep roared to life when Krajek slammed his foot on the gas and went by Mordain, slowing down for a moment to give the man a chance to jump in.

It was astounding to him how Mordain could be so athletic and fast, even while wearing armor that heavy.

His friend's face displayed apprehension and worry at boarding the strange contraption but the hydra served as enough motivation to get him to jump in through the window. He wished he could have gotten a wrangler or a TJ but the damn things were still selling for north of ten thousand.

His friend now in the passenger seat, Krajek gunned it. The tires spun a bit but the four wheel drive system kicked in and traction was produced.

This old Jeep liberty hadn't cost too much but Krajek also didn't have very high expectations for it. It was mechanically sound but had some issues before it could pass a safety. Thankfully, this world did not require safeties, insurance or anything else for that matter.

The terrain was rough and made the suspension rock back and forth, making the two of them really feel it inside the jeep.

Thankfully, the Jeep stayed in one piece and managed to outspeed the hydra. As they crested a small incline , a somewhat clear path was available to them on the other side, which Krajek gladly took. There, on the beaten path, the vehicle was able to achieve its real speed even speeding past Aexia.

Seeing the strange machine drew her curiosity and she made an approach towards it, increasing her speed and llanding on the roof.

Seeing her, Krajek lowered the backseat window and shouted at her. "There! In the back, try to fly in!"

It took her three attempts but she finally made it on the third pass, landing sprawled out on the back seat. "I have sooo many questions right now." she muttered, taking in the sight that was the interior of the vehicle.

Krajek watched from the rear view mirror as the creature became smaller and smaller, finally losing it before replying. "Well the plan right now is to survive, don't have the luxury to play fifty questions."

Mordain broke the awkward silence. "I don't think we can defeat it, not without considerable effort and losses."

"Yeah that's a nope from me as well. Someone else's problem. We got the necromancer, this thing will undo itself soon right?" added Krajek, still driving fast just in case.

Alexia shook her head sideways. "No, this is different. It's a ritual summon, likely took a few month's worth of mana. That creature is permanently bonded to this realm now, like a living thing. I'll need to notify the guild so they can send out a party for its destruction."

Another possibility arose however, she hadn't considered it at first but it was within the realm of reason that some latent power from Zankas was what allowed the necromancer to harness such high volumes of mana. She'd have to come do a thorough study later but for now it was crucial that she stuck with Krajek.

"Can it track us?" Asked Krajek, worriedly.

She pondered for a brief moment before making a determination. "No. It will likely rampage around this area, try to find food first and make a nest. On another note, this is quite comfortable. Much better than a carriage and quite faster judging from the scenery I see pass by. How long can you maintain this pace?"