prologue

In the sea of youth that passed through Hogwarts, two opposites found each other. Fate had a sick sense of humour, forever a sadist, and found herself pleased when Ada Nott and Harry Potter first collided. 

A first, they repelled like the opposing ends of muggle batteries. They were two asteroids in space, lost and lonely until they smashed into each other and created the most dramatic display of friction that chipped and burnt.

Like how a pig squeals and fights before it's slaughtered, it senses danger and knows its meaningless demise is near. The butcher holds back bile as he cuts, knowing from experience what it feels like to go hungry, yet sorrowful to see the creature's demise.

But the circumstances of Ada and Harry were odd. At first, their connection was cynical and cruel, brimmed with hatred and misunderstanding. Then, the pig ran into the butcher's arms, and it remained cruel. Finally, the edges between enemy and ally blurred in a mess of emotion, manipulation and secrecy.

Harry Potter and Ada Nott were never meant to be: yet they gave into each other anyway. Two young warriors, complete paradoxes of a cruel divine, stuck between a lunatic pull of what is right and what is destined. He was supposed to save the world. She needed a reason to live in it.

You cannot deny that they made an astonishing pair if you ignore the knife pressed into the other's neck.