Ch 4.5: ~The Melancholic Spring~

The Melancholic Spring

Her heart aches with concern, for the sake of her companions just beyond the garden

"The Taisha reported today that the restoration of the Grand Seto Bridge has been progressing on schedule. During this morning's press conference, the Taisha sounded optimistic that the bridge may be back to its original state by mid-302."

The interior of the small udon shop is filled with the clamor of the late-afternoon dinner rush. Waitresses busily scramble from table to table to wait on the packed house as the TV blares a report on the status of the Grand Seto Bridge's construction to the half-attentive audience. Tables within the quaint eatery are packed with families partaking in their evening meals and students stopping for a bite to eat after their clubs.

Two young girls relax at a small table set in the restaurant's rear corner. The collars and skirts of their matching school uniforms are colored in a muted grey, and a green ribbon drapes from each girl's collar. The brown-haired girl leans back in her seat as she thumbs through a feed of pictures and statuses on her phone. Several empty bowls, once containing the shop's signature dish, are stacked in front of her on the table.

"Haru, are you just going to sit on your phone the whole time?"

The blonde-haired girl sitting across from Haruka chastises the junior-high student. From the moment the two girls had sat down, Haruka's phone had rarely left her hands.

"What's the problem, Lily? I didn't look at my phone once after lunch today, I think I've earned it."

"The fact you had to add 'after lunch' is the problem, Haru... "

From one look at the blonde locks and dazzling appearance of Kobayakawa Lily, it would be hard to believe that the young girl once fought alongside Haruka, Rina, and the rest of the Sentinels in their fight to free the world. Placed at Rank 26, she was the designated shield-bearing member of Noriko's party. Lily and Haruka formed a fast friendship through their time as Sentinels and the blonde-haired defender likely stood as Haruka's closest confidant in the blue-haired Sentinel's absence.

"Lily, you need to lighten up. I think Mebuki might have rubbed off on you a bit too much."

"Well, pardon me for worrying about your wellbeing, Haruka. Pray tell, how did you do on last week's quiz?"

Lily's question strikes Haruka like a surprise attack from a Stardust; she motions frantically at her junior, but leans a bit too far back and tumbles to the floor. Lily leans over slightly, ensuring Haruka's safety while also taking amusement at the shocked reaction. Haruka dusts herself off and nervously sputters a response.

"I—It was fine! Everyone misses the mark once in a while, right?"

Lily lets out an audible sigh and shakes her head, clearly not surprised by this excuse. She continues to scold her lackadaisical companion as Haruka rights herself in her chair and casually continues scrolling through her feed.

"Honestly, Haruka, if you put as much effort into your schooling as you did into training, you could be top of the class."

"Eh, all this school stuff's never been for me. I'm just going to inherit Pops' business after high school anyways, so it's fine."

Haruka nonchalantly brushes off Lily's concern as she continues to gaze into the small screen in front of her. After a particular motion, her face is briefly splashed with a somber look, only barely long enough for Lily to catch it. Suspicious of the true motive behind Haruka's demeanor, Lily shifts the topic of conversation.