Chapter 5: Surprises

The last bell rang announcing that it was time to go home.

Today is November 5th BTW.

By now, I've kinda gotten use to the weird expression Ryan makes, and so far there have been no signs of James and Julia's plan going into action yet.

I unlocked my locker and took out some of my school books and put them in my bag. My upcoming weekend could be described in 3 words: Me doing homework.

As I closed my locker someone ran up to me. "Hi Casey," Ryan greeted me while fiddling with the lock on his locker which just happens to be 2 lockers away from mine.

"Hi Ryan," I said, blushing, he didn't notice though since my disposable mask blocks my cheeks from view.

"Want to be lab partners for next Tuesday?" He asked. "We have lab on Tuesday?" I asked, completely clueless. Ryan nodded his head. "I thought that it was next month!" I exclaimed. "No," Ryan said.

You see, I've been dreading lab. The whole class was going to dissect a cow's brain and Ms. Perkins was then going to get into detail about blood and organs and then I would probably vomit all over the place. I easily get grossed out about anything involving human or animal anatomy, except reproduction, that topic just makes me get a little awkward.

"Yeah, sure," I said, answering Ryan's question. "Cool," he said.

I swung my backpack onto one shoulder and Ryan did the same. "Let's walk to our buses together, ok?" He asked. I nodded.

As we walked out of the 8th grade hallway he put his arm around my shoulder and slowly pulled me closer to him.

The upper part of my body was as still as a fish stick for a few seconds. My shoulders tingled like crazy and electricity seemed to flow across my skin.

It had been so long since Ryan has done that and it all felt so unreal.

My right arm tentatively slid around his back. A warm sensation enveloped me but it was abruptly cut off by...

James. Augh.

He walked passed us and grinned. The boy wasn't even wearing his mask right. It was hanging on one ear.

James took out his phone and snapped a few pictures. Ryan and I quickly slid apart and Ryan stared at him angrily.

"We didn't give you permission to have our picture taken. Delete those pictures, now!" He said, lunging at him.

James let out a laugh and took off running. Ryan zoomed after him. So much for us walking to our buses together...

I sighed and walked by myself to bus #25, again. 

On my way there someone poked my shoulder. I turned around to see... James?

How did he get here so quickly?

"Hey Case," he said, cutting in front of me so that I couldn't keep walking.

"Hi James," I muttered. "So...my brother's having a party tonight since our parents are away and I was wondering if you could come," he said, pulling a sticky note out of his jeans and handing it to me. On it was an address and a time. I stared at the note blankly.

"See ya there!" James said before disappearing behind bus #17.

Why would James invite me to a party?!

I stood on the spot, my mind whirring with possibilities.

Oh no.

This was it. James' big plan to hit on me. Gosh, does he think I'm stupid and dumb?

There's no way I'm going to that good for nothing party.

At that moment a loud whistle started blowing. That was the first whistle that announced that we had 5 minutes to get to the buses. I ran towards my bus.

I plopped down on my seat next to David. "Hi, how was your day?" I asked. David shrugged. "It was fine I guess," he muttered. "Ok then..." I said. "He's just in shock," Ethan said, cutting me off. "Why?" I asked, looking at Ethan and then at David. 

"Remember I told you about Maline, his childhood friend?" Ethan said. "Yeah, I think," I replied. Well today she gave him this card..." Ethan began. David's eyes widened and he stared at Ethan trying to intimidate him into not telling me what had happened. Ethan was immune to David's attempts of silencing him and continued. 

"Anyway, Maline confessed her loovveeeee to him!" Ethan half said-half shouted.  "Shut up!" David loudly whispered in a threatening tone.  "Oh come on, Casey is like your best friend, isn't she?" Ethan said, raising his eyebrows. 

David looked between Ethan and me and then sighed. David rummaged through his bag and took out a red card and handed it to me. I opened the card, took out a letter and started reading.

"Woah, this girl really is head over heels for you," I told David

"Woah, this girl really is head over heels for you," I told David. "What's your answer going to be?" I asked. "That I'm not interested in her and period," he said.

"That's a little harsh, don't you think?" I reasoned.

David shook his head and started at the seat in front of him blankly.

-------

Why do you think that David is acting so coldly towards his childhood friend?

Do you think that if Casey were to go to the party James would hit on her?

Stay tuned for the next chapter

Thanks for reading!