Chapter 4: The Lady Wears Armor

Nadine

I couldn't stand it anymore. The presents, the flattery, the countless numbers of handsome men coming to gain my love and affection, it was a hopeless romantic's dream come to life but for me? It was a living nightmare. I was seen as nothing but a trophy for all of those who came in hoping to claim me as their baby maker. Another man in a dark navy suit with a fluffy white collar came into the lounge, wearing a smirk upon his olive skin and holding a white box while his other hand held a bouquet.

I cast a glance over towards the white table on the far left side of the room, it was shielded from light by the many, many flowers that layered on top of it. My smile stretched across my face, they would all be fuel for the bonfire I planned on making to toss all these useless gifts into.
"Sir Hiram Whitlock of The House of Whitlock." Our butler announced, I rolled my eyes at such formality for this man. His smirk seemed to stretch across his face once he was announced.

This will be interesting... My brain rocked back and forth with readied insults and one-sided conversations. Anything to get this man out of my house and far away from me, let him run down the road towards the town while screaming his head off, yelling about how I am such an evil witch and that I am no lady. My lips pressed into a tight smile as I felt a bubbling, giddy, squealing pressure building up inside of my throat and settling on my tongue.

He waltzed over and extended his arm out towards me, a bow of his head like the others did as a sign of respect and courtesy for me as he presented his offer of a gift for my heart.

"For you, my lady Nadine." His voice was one of a navy sailor, from where I sat, lounged about my couch, I caught a scent of the salty sea. I never could believe men of his status would ever sail.

"Oh," I spoke gently, only small words for now. "I thank you, Sir..." I trailed off, staring at the box from all angles, not bothering to glance up at his face.

"Sir Hiram Whitlock." He spoke in a light tone but I caught the edge to it. A smile reached my lips, I was perfectly making my way underneath this man's skin. Brillant.

"This present. What do you wish to gain by handing me this?" I fluttered my eyelashes before glancing up at him. His mouth went slack as he tried to find words, "Your... Your hand, madam." He bowed his head yet again.

I raised an eyebrow of my own, "My hand? What about it? Why do you need my hand? I would like to imagine I still need it for the rest of my life." I commented with a playful smile.

He tensed up like a mouse caught in a snake's coils.

"Of course, Lady Nadine but what I meant to say was your hand in marriage. I fancy you." I hummed at his response, sweat glinted at his brow already. What a silly, stupid man.

I chuckled lowly while picking at the silver bowl that was tied to the top of the white box, my curiosity was piqued, I was curious about what this pig might have handed me to try to make my heart flutter for him instead of shoveling up and dying.

"You fancy me." I repeated and enjoyed the bulge in his throat that appeared for a second then disappeared quickly, "You barely know me."

"That is true, my lady but I promise you. I-"

"Tell me one thing. One thing that I like." I sat back and awaited his answer. He stood there, eyes wide and mouth agape, his bottom jaw moving up and down in slight twitches as his brain halted its working process to scramble for an answer.