VI

The next day had arrived. Edin fidgeted as he sat on his bed. Arden had said that she would announce the results that afternoon. "Before dinner," she had told him. Edin glanced out his window. Though the sun had not set yet, it was already rather close to the horizon. He could hardly wait for the news to arrive.

Part of him wished that he had failed the test. His heart was still racing from the battle against the ætterhund, and his clash with the glæsseling had left a permanent impression on him. To think that he would have to face and slay such creatures on a daily basis—oh, that would be too much! He was not sure if he could handle it. If two battles were enough to haunt him for days, how much more two fights a day, or more? Soon after the test, he had gone to Irien to purchase enchanted sleeping pills to ward off nightmares. They were only half as effective as claimed. He was tempted to consume more than prescribed, but knew that it would not be worth the risk of addiction or dependency.

Another part of him wished that he had passed. After all, he knew that the realm was in desperate need of guardians. The existing ones, especially senior guardians like Arden, were already working to the bone to protect Idelhen. It would be selfish of him to not use his power to help and protect people from whatever foul creature prowled the land. He would rather sacrifice some sleepless nights in exchange for the safety of those who could not defend themselves from wild beasts. It would not settle well with his conscience if he did not.

He saw a speck of light in the sky. He squinted. The light expanded into a portal. Edin stood up from his bed and paced towards his window. A familiar sedan emerged from the portal, flying in his direction.

Edin raced out of his bedroom and hurried down the tower's staircase. Oh, he could not wait any longer! She had not yet arrived, yet he was already at the front door, awaiting her presence. He lowered his head to peek through the peephole. Her car had just landed on the castle grounds. He paced some steps backward to give her space. A few moments later, the front doors swung open to reveal his mentor standing squarely in the middle.

She tilted her head. "Were you waiting there the whole time?"

"Only for a minute," he said.

Arden huffed in amusement. She entered her home and glided down the hallway, removing her fingerless gloves as she strode towards him. "I have the news you've been waiting for."

"What did they say?"

"You passed."

Edin breathed a sigh of relief.

She chuckled. "Congratulations on becoming one of us. My fellow seniors said that you did well."

"Thank you."

"Do you know what that means?"

"I'm a guardian now?"

"Not just that. You've officially completed your training."

He paused. He had grown so accustomed to being a student, he did not know what to do with such information. "You're not mentoring me anymore?"

"Why would I? I've been preparing you to become a guardian. Now that you're one of us, what else is left for me to teach?" The corners of her lips quirked upward. "You'll still live with me if that's what you're concerned about. I'll tell you more about your shifts and station later this evening."

And with that, she left him to retreat to her room.

***

Dinner was decadent, as usual. Edin and Arden had eaten their first courses—warm salad dressed with goat's cheese and vinaigrette—and were now savoring bowls of cream of chantarelle and foie gras soup. The two of them had only opened their mouths to eat or drink, and as they approached their main course, Edin wondered if Arden would soon tell him more about his new job. Where would he be stationed? Would he work alone, or would he be with a colleague? If the latter, then with whom would he be paired?