Chapter 1

The golden golem flew over my head. I flipped towards it as it flapped its wings and flew away. I chased after it.

            “Come back here you little flying rat!” I cried out as I chased it.

            The golem flapped its little golden wings as it continued to fly away. The golem was a simple one. It was golden with a lighter golden cross like mark on the front. I growled as I ran along. My dark black hair flew out as I kept going. Most people would probably look at me strangely as I raced after the flying golden object. I had to catch it. I recognized the small golden golem. I had to catch it.

            I was right underneath it. I reached up to it. My hands were less than two inches away from it.

            “I . . . got ya!” I cried, jumping up and grabbing at the golem.

           It flapped its wings, shooting higher as my hands closed in the air where it had been. I growled in frustration and continued to follow it. Come on, how fast could this sucker fly? It rounded a corner and I turned around the corner, continuing to follow it. Come on you little golem, I just want to catch you, I thought as I chased it.

            Then I heard an unmistakable sound. The sound of a mechanical gun getting aimed at me. I stopped, tensing my legs under me and jumping up into the air. Bullets slammed into the ground where I had been running and smoke billowed out as I flipped in the air. I landed five feet away from the explosion. I looked back. In the sky was a huge circular mechanical creature. Circular gun holes came out of its body. A creepy white face was on it.

            I smiled cruelly. “Akuma,” I whispered.

           I reached out with my right hand. The Akuma turned towards me and its gun holes pointed towards me. The wicked smile never left my face.

            “Activate,” I said.                                     

           Green light lit up around the center of my chest, right next to my heart. The shining light swirled from my chest around my right arm and hand. The green light took on a shape and I clenched my hand around the hilt of a sword. A glinting black sword appeared in the green glow and the green light swirled around the blade. I stood up straight and held my sword ready. The Akuma merely fired its bullets.

            I swung my sword, the blade slamming into the bullets about to hit me. The bullets blew up in smoke. The green glow never faded away from my blade. As soon as I was clear of the bullets, I threw my sword up into the air.

            “Bow!” I cried.

            The green glow around the blade swirled faster and brighter for a moment. When the light faded slightly, instead of a glinting black sword, a dark wooden bow fell towards me. I reached up and caught the bow, grabbing it with my left hand and holding it up. I reached out with my right hand, the green glow lighting up around it, and clenched my fist around a black arrow. I nocked the arrow on the bowstring and pulled the bow taunt. I pulled the arrow back until I felt my thumb against the corner of my mouth.

            I aimed at the Akuma, straight at the white face. I felt my right eye change as I studied the pitiful creature. A purple smoky glow appeared over the Akuma and I saw the ghostly form of a crying man. He looked kind of like a zombie. Chains were around his neck, bounding him to the Akuma. He was in pain. He was in pain because he brought back a person he loved, only to trap himself and them in a worse fate. I aimed right for the center of the creature’s forehead.