Chapter 3

I failed to hear the fake sympathy and concern in his voice at the time. I was too heartbroken and upset to think about the outcome of my choice. I nodded, my eyes filling with tears of happiness at the thought of having Akania back.

            “How are you going to bring her back?” I asked, standing up and looking up at the tall figure expectantly.

            “Well my dear child, it’s quite simple. But I do need your help with one little thing,” he said. Purple smoke billowed around his feet and spread around Akania’s grave. A weird mechanical stand appeared in front of me, behind her tombstone. Inside of it, held there by metal spike like things on the sides, was a weird metal skeleton. On the top, in big metal letters, it said BUILD.

            “All you have to do is yell out your dear friend’s name. Since you two had such a special bond, your cry will bring her back,” he told me, stepping beside the metal stand.

            I walked around her grave until I was standing in front of it. Something inside of me screamed this was wrong, but I didn’t care. I wanted her back. And I was willing to do anything to get her back.

            “That’s all I have to do? Is call out? Will she hear me?” I asked nervously.

            He merely laughed joyfully and stepped closer to me, reaching out and patting my head in a reassuring manner. “Of course she’ll hear you! Just cry out for her! She’ll come back I promise,” he assured.

            I decided to take my chances. He stepped back as I stepped closer. I studied the mechanical skeleton for a few moments. Here was my chance. I could bring her back. My opportunity was literally right in front of me. I had to take the chance while it was presenting itself. I would probably never get this chance again. I had to do this. No matter what, I had to do this. For Akania.

            With tears spilling out of my eyes and down my cheeks, I cried out as loudly as I could. “Akania!”

            There was a boom and a flash of purple light. Out of the clouds and purple lightning bolt seemed to fly down and strike the metal skeleton. There was a flash of purple and static noises as the light flickered around the skeleton. An upside down black star appeared on the forehead of the metal skull. I recognized that symbol. I had read it somewhere in a book. It was a pentacle. Underneath the pentacle, light carved out the name Akania in a beautiful flowing script. Tears streamed down my cheeks in joy and I smiled happily as the metal skeleton started to move.

            “Ma-Mayura?” I heard Akania’s voice ask as the metal skull’s mouth moved with her words. I wanted to cry out I joy. She was back. She was really back!

            “Akania!” I cried out, stepping forward to be closer to her.

            “How could you do this to me?” she suddenly asked, making me freeze and the smile disappear from my face. “How could you turn me into an Akuma? I can’t believe you would do this to your best friend!”

            “But, Akania, I brought you back,” I said, confused and hurt.

            “You brought me back as an Akuma! There’s not escape now! I can’t believe you’d do this to me!” she cried angrily.

            I stepped back, terrified by her angry outburst. This wasn’t right. I must have been tricked. I flipped around towards the man behind me, but he merely chuckled happily.