∆. Prologue.

In a warm cosy room decorated in flannel, in a large comfy bed wrapped in soft blankets lay a little girl with hair red as embers and eyes green like summer grass. "Daddy?" She asked sitting up from her pillow. "Can you tell me the story of the Scorned Witch?"

"Again? I told you it last night." The hulking mass that was the child's father laughed, tenderly tucking his daughter back in.

"Please! It's my favourite." The child pleaded with wide eyes that no father could deny.

"Alright, get comfy pup, this is a long story."

Once upon a time, when the town was just a small settlement and the woods owned the land, there lived a pair of brothers, alike in appearance but so very different in every other way. The eldest brother, Sampson, was the mayor, though he wasn't voted as mayor. Back then the job was passed down through family, from eldest son to eldest son.

"Why not eldest daughter?" The child interrupted.

"Cause people were stuck in their traditions, pup." The man said, smiling as she gave an unamused huff.

"Traditions are stupid."

"A great many of them, but some aren't so stupid. You like having presents on your birthday don't you?"

"... Okay not all traditions are stupid."

So Sampson had inherited the role of mayor, though no one would have voted him so. The boy was young and headstrong, his arrogance only grew as he aged and as he became a man the power of his position went to his head. He believed himself invincible, growing fat and lazy as all he asked was given to him.

"What about the younger brother?"

"I was just getting to him."

The little brother was named Samuel, and he was a gentle hearted boy. He prefered to work the land, growing carrots to sell at the market to pay for his sister's medicine. While Sampson had neglected to notice his sister's waning health Samuel attended to her every need. She was a year younger than him, her name was Samantha. He grew tall, with strong arms from toiling the land, and stronger legs from pulling carts of carrots into town square. But he was himself was soft, helping the elderly and young, offering food to those who could not afford it at no charge. And remaining diligent to his dear sisters health.

"I like Samuel more than Sampson."

"Most everyone did."

Now, one day and old peddler and his daughter came to town, looking for a quiet place to set up shop and live. The peddler, Salvador, sold trinkets and the daughter, Selene, sold herbal remedies. The trinkets were nothing special, a pretty ring here, an old music box there. But the medicines the girl produced were mythical, healing things thought to be incurable. Rumours spread of Selene dabbling in witchcraft but her gentle demeanor undermined the claims. For what were witches but cruel, ugly and evil things. There was no way such a beautiful girl could be a witch.

It didn't take long before Selene had a trail of men following her, hoping to win her fancy. Even though she rejected every one none of them felt jaded, happy to merely be her friend if it meat they could still be in her life. Women showed no jealousy, for it was not her fault she was so beautiful inside and out, and even they found themselves smitten. Of course the brothers were not immune to her charms, but Samuel was too shy to approach her, and Sampson was to conceited to believe he had to. He thought she'd come to him as he flaunted his wealth and power.