Prolouge

THE LIGHTS flickered on and off. Her breathing was heavy. She was scared for her life but she knew that she would be saving the world. She knew she would be stopping the Russians. She looked around the starcourt mall, now nearly destroyed from the fight with the Mind Flayer. She saw Mike supporting Eleven, with a terrible leg covered in dried blood. They just removed whatever piece of the Mind Flayer was in there. El looked exhausted, but so was y/n. Why was Eleven getting all the attention? Y/n is risking her life right now to save the world from stupid Russians, and all everyone could care about was Eleven. It drove y/n insane.

And the the fact that the love of y/n's life was with her, made y/n even more mad. Every day her hatred for Eleven grew... every day. And she hated that she let Eleven get in her head like that.

It all started when y/n and her friends, Mike, Dustin, and Lucas went searching in the woods for their missing friend Will. It was late, and they were looking for Will after their parents told them not too. Y/n's favorite memory of that day was when she had to sneak out her house to meet everyone at the woods.

Y/n waited until her father Jim Hopper was asleep on the couch. She knew he wouldn't fall for the "pillows under the blanket" trick, so she had to to think bigger. She put clothes over pillows and a h/c wig on another. It was the best, but it should be enough for one quick glance, unless her father decided to give her a late night kiss on the forehead. She opens her window slowly, trying not to wake her father. She starts climbing out when she looks down to see him. Mike Wheeler. The boy she's been best friends with in kindergarten. Y/n looks down as she climbs out, tripping on the way down. 

"Are you alright?" Mike asked, laughing hysterically.
"Shhhh! My dad will hear you!" Mike's laugh was clearly contagious, cause y/n couldn't stop herself.

- present day -

"Hey" Y/n heard a voice. She knew it all too well. She turned around to stare into Mike's eyes. 

"Hey." Y/n replied with a soft smile, and he returned it.

"I just came to wish you luck, and, uh.. y-yeah that's it, I guess." Mike gave a soft chuckle, indicating he was nervous. Not for y/n. He was nervous cause he didn't know if the plan would work, and his girlfriend was currently on the floor, in pain. So much pain.

"Thanks, Mike. I appreciate it, but I don't know if I'll even come back.. alive." She stated. 

"No. Don't think like that. You will come back, okay?" Mike said, with a dead serious face.

_ time skip

"You ready kid?" He asked, but he didn't make eye contact with her, he was looking at Eleven, who was still in pain. Jim had a sympathy look. If she wasn't on the floor with a hurt leg, it would be her in y/n's place.

"Yeah" Y/n told her father, sounding aggravated. 'Cause she was. And she wanted her father to know. He looked down at his daughter, with a hint of confusion.
"You alright?"
"Hm, I don't know. I just fought a giant looking spider type- thing, made out of human flesh. And now i'm going to a secret underground Russian lair, to close a gate to another dimension. So you tell me if I'm alright."
Jim nodded softly, and turned away again to face Eleven, leaning on Mike's shoulder.

"You be careful out there kid. I love you so much." Jim began as he cupped Eleven's face with one hand. 

"We'll all be safe El. I'll bring our dad back alive and in one piece, and we can all be back together again! Happy ever after right? Family matters!" Y/n said with sarcastic enthusiasm, earning a angry face from her father.

She was so tired of being treated like shit. She was done. And she was going to let people know, the hard way. She was going to let everyone know, that Y/n matters as much as Eleven does.