four

Louis walks into school with the usual slumped shoulders and lowered head as always. Of course last night's dinner was spent talking about all of his siblings achievements, because obviously they all have to be perfect all of the time.

Adrien had been placed as the second string running back on the varsity football team. Which basically means that Louis' freshman brother is already the second best running back on the whole football team. Louis let his fingers ball into fists and his nails break the skin of his palms as Adrien raved on about all of his new friends on the team and how the first string is a senior so by this time next year he will be the starting running back.

Gracen had spent the rest of the dinner raving about her life in fashion college and whatever else she does. Then proceeded to ask their mom if she could wear her wedding dress in her wedding, that her and Parker are now planning.

Louis' mom had then cried and talked about her amazing daughter and her amazing life and all of her amazing kids, well except Louis, of course.

So, Louis' head may be a little lower then usual and he might be holding his backpack a little tighter as he walks through the halls of his high school that day. But he also felt some sort of determination pushing him to get an A in at least one of his classes this year, then maybe, finally, his parents would also rave about him.

As Louis walks into math class, he takes a deep breath and plunges towards his seat. He doesn't waste time as he pulls out his notebook, planning on taking as many notes possible. Determined to finally understand one stupid math lesson.

He doesn't even notice that Harry has sat down next to him until the boy pokes his shoulder lightly. Louis' head whips to the side as he raises his eyebrows in question. "Hm?"

"I said hi, but you were zoned out. Sorry." Harry replies, a small pinkness lighting up his face. Louis looks at the boy, he's wearing black skinny jeans and a black t-shirt, with the sleeves rolled up a little. Louis still doesn't understand why Harry even initiates conversation with him, since the boy is unnecessarily popular and doesn't need to add Louis' friendship to the list. Louis doesn't know if his friendship is worth the time it would take to fully break him out of his shell.

"Oh, sorry. I was just uh," He looks down at his paper, then back up at the teacher who has only just started talking about the lesson. "taking notes."

Harry doesn't reply to him, just smiling in his direction, letting a dimple pop out of his cheek, before turning to his own notebook and taking notes.

Louis turns to his own paper, and tries to zone in on the teacher. He copies down everything that she writes, adding little things she says that are supposed to help. But none of it makes sense, the number and equations all jumble up in his head and spin, laying back out into something that looks like a foreign language on his paper.

Louis gives up on taking notes 50 minutes into the lesson, which is actually the longest he's ever taken math notes in his life. Instead he just sits there, his head laid on his crossed arms, listening to the teacher ramble on about whatever for the following 20 minutes of class.

When the bell finally rings, Louis all but races to put all of his books into his bag, he stands up quickly and makes it two steps before he freezes. He's eating lunch with Harry today. He completely forgot.

Louis takes a breath before he turns around, looking back at the taller boy who is just finishing gathering up all of his materials. Harry looks up after a moment, his almost-constant smile appearing again before he stands up. "Ready?"

"Yeah" Louis grips his backpack a little tighter before turning around and leading Harry out of the room.

-