Chapter Sixteen: The Would Be Queen

Carperia
Thalia's POV
The sight of the gold dome shaped roofs of the palace upset me. They are beautiful for a stranger just wishing to behold this rare gem that a few call home. I blinked repeatedly and when I looked at the man who has cuffed himself to me, he frowned. My tears fell one after another.

To wipe my tears we both have to lift our hands. It's not enough that my wrists are zip tied, he has cuffed himself to my right hand.

The loud noise in the helicopter won't allow us to talk but he did use a handkerchief to dry my eyes. He looks sympathetic but his sympathy is useless to me.

I'm not crying because I got caught. I did anticipate the possibility but much earlier before I reached the man I have loved silently for over four years. What started as a skipped heart beat became love and despite all I did to reach him, he chose the crown. I'm crying because he chose the crown and not me. He should have warned me. I would have jumped and taken my chances than to be returned to a finality I can't change.

As the helicopter hovered over the helipad, I saw people waiting for me. On one end, my mother and my sisters faithfully by her side. There's significant space between them and the Prince and his guards. The Queen Mother is approaching.

As soon as it touched down, the door was pulled open. "Put on the coat!" Stephen told me.

"And let Reli miss out on me wearing another man's shirt? No way!" He cut the zip tie  around my ankles. He got out first and helped me down. As we moved away we had to keep our heads down.

When we put enough distance between us and the helicopter blades, I noted the horror on my mother's face. The t-shirt is short. It ends a little below my bottom. She shook her head. Reli glanced at my legs before his eyes settled on the bandaged foot. I'm still bare foot. I'm such a mess, not very royal.

"Your Highness." Stephen bowed his head. He finally uncuffed his wrist from mine.

"Cut the zip ties. They are not necessary." Reli instructed him.  "See me later."

"Yes Your Highness."

"What happened to her foot? What did your goons do to her?" My mother questioned Stephen.

If he didn't treat me well, I would fault him for this wound but he's only a man doing his job. "I was walking on the snow bare foot. It has nothing to do with him." I answered. The Queen Mother took off her long heavily embellished kimono and draped it over my shoulders. She took my hands and guided them into the wide sleeves. She made brief eye contact. "I'm sorry."

"Shame on you for wasting this Kingdom's resources." She strutted off. She's upset with tme.

"Reli-"

"It's Your Highness." He corrected me. "You will accompanied to your room. I'll see you later."

He walked ahead of me. It's Ellie who wrapped her arms around me and she made sure that I walked without giving out because of what Queen Mother has said. It's embarrassing.

"Keep your head up! Own this embarrassment. Don't you dare cry Lia! Don't!" She whispered into my ear.

Even my mother is keeping her distance. She looks upset. I wrapped the kimono around myself to cover this t-shirt that I thought would offend Reli. I wanted to get a rise out of him but I have been told to call him Your Highness. He's not happy. No one is.

I was relieved to make it to the room I was directed to. Once we were alone my mother closed the door.

"What the hell were you thinking? Whose t-shirt is that? Did you sleep with him?"