Chapter 28 Escape From Woodbury

Rick and the others ran after Kirara as she made her way through the dark streets of Woodbury. She suddenly skidded to a halt and hid around the corner. Following Kirara's lead, the others did the same thing. As soon as the group hid, a few armed men walked by. Rick and Daryl looked at each other and nodded; they quickly knocked out the men and dragged them into a nearby building, tying them up and taking their weapons.

After subduing the men, Rick and the others once again followed Kirara. Kirara suddenly ran faster ahead of the group and turned the corner. Rick rushed after her and nearly collided with Michonne and Kagome, leaning heavily on the other woman.

“Kagome!” Rick exclaimed.

“Shh. We don't want to attract any attention,” Michonne told him.

Rick nodded and took Kagome from Michonne.

Rick held Kagome tightly then pulled away when she whimpered. In the dim light, Rick could see that Kagome was bloody and bruised. Rick noticed that she was cradling her side, and he lifted her shirt. He gasped when he saw the darkening bruise that was forming on her ribs. A fury started building in Rick at seeing the woman he loved so battered. Rick swore that it was the last thing he did; he would kill the Governor for what he did to Kagome. But right now, the most important thing was to get Kagome and the others to safety.

Rick wrapped his arm around Kagome and supported her weight; they followed Kirara and made their way back towards the others. Suddenly Kirara transformed and pounced on a man that was coming around the corner. The man managed to scream before Kirara tore his throat out. But that scream was enough to grab the attention of the guards. They ran towards the scream with their guns drawn; Rick, Kagome, and Michonne tried to escape but were quickly surrounded. Rick motioned with his head towards Kirara, who was once again in her small size, could pass without being noticed; he knew that the Neko would bring the others.

One of the men pointed his rifle at Rick, “Put your weapons down and put your hands up!” he yelled.

Rick put his gun down but refused to let go of Kagome, “She's hurt; she needs help.”

“I don't give a shit what she needs. I said, hands up!”

Kagome looked at Rick, “It's okay, Rick, I can stand.”

Rick slowly removed his hand from Kagome and made sure she could stand on her own, then put his hands up. The guard then motioned for Michonne to put her weapons down as well. Michonne unsheathed her sword and placed it on the ground, then her rifle. She slowly stood up and put her hands up. The guard motioned with his gun and started herding them away.

While this is going on, Daryl, Amy, and Oscar continue looking for Rick and Kirara. Suddenly Daryl stopped and pointed his gun, but he quickly lowered it when he saw Kirara. The Neko mewed and jumped into his arms. She then jumped down and ran back the way she came. Kirara stopped and looked at him and Oscar. Daryl realized that she wanted them to follow her. He and Oscar looked at each other and rushed off after Kirara. Kirara stopped and hissed; she looked behind her and motioned with her head. Daryl peered around the corner and saw that some guards had Rick, Kagome, and Michonne.

Daryl reached into his pack and pulled out a smoke bomb. He pulled the pin and tossed it in the middle of the group. Rick immediately saw the bomb and grabbed Kagome, he dragged her away, and Michonne followed them. As soon as the bomb went off, Daryl, Amy, and Oscar started shooting. Kirara rushed forward and tackled one of the men about to fire at Rick; she quickly crushed his skull in her jaws.

The sounds of gunfire alerted the town to the intruders and drew more armed men to the fight. Daryl handed Rick his gun while Amy helped Kagome and Michonne retrieve her weapons. They took off down an alley trying to hide from the guards; once they're out of sight, Rick turns to Kagome and Amy, “We have got to get you two out of here as quickly as possible,” Rick looked at Kirara, “Can you take both girls, Kirara, and get out of here?”