Chapter 1

A/N: I am going to use she/her pronouns until Jeff comes out. 

Jeff Winger wasn't always 'Jeff Winger'. He was once a she and went by Julia. Julia. Julia. Julia. The name still haunts him to this day. Every time he hears the name he thinks someone has figured out his secret. When he hears it in a coffee shop when the barista calls out the name Julia he freezes, then a women walks up and grabs the coffee and she leaves. It happened once a week, maybe more then once a week but, he freezes every time he hears it. 

The story starts when Jeff is in grade 3, when everyone knows him as Julia. When all the girls make fun of her for wearing 'boy clothes' and wanting to be called Jeff. 

"Why can't I be called Jeff?" She asks the other girls. 

"Because you are a girl so you have to be called Julia." One of the girls said, Julia knows her name is Shirley. 

"Fine." Julia says and she stomps away to play soccer with the boys. 

Julia likes play with the boys more than the girls. The boys, they play soccer or road hockey or football and the girls, they play grounders and sandman and swing on the swings. They don't hit or tackle or fight. They say back handed comments and her feel bad about playing with the boys when she decides to play with the girls 

"Why do you only wear boy clothes?" One of the girls ask when they are swinging. 

"I don't know. They are comfy."  Julia answers. 

"You look like a boy. If you had short hair you I wouldn't be able to tell the difference." 

"Oh, well. I think it's okay that I look like a boy. Who cares?" Julia asked. 

"Everyone cares. You are a freak, Julia." Shirley said. 

"Oh ok, well. I am going to play football with the boys." Julia said and she left. 

At one home isn't much better than at school, but at home the roles are reversed. Her dad puts her in dresses and skirts and her mom changes her out of them and lets her wear ratty jeans and t- shirts. Her mom and dad split up because he beat both of them, but because William knew the judge they got split custody, her throughout the week and him on weekends. Thats how her dad makes her wear those clothes that she does not like.

"Julia, you look like a boy, go and change into that dress I got you last week." Her father says. 

"I don't want to wear the dress dad. I want to wear this." Julia said and she pointed at her long sleeve shirt and jeans. 

"Julia. I will not ask again. Go. Change." 

Julia sighs and stomps off to her room. She changes quickly into the dress and she stomps back down stairs. 

"Julia. If you give me more attitude you will regret it." 

"I told you dad. I didn't want to wear the dress. Everyone will think I am a girl." 

"You are a girl." William yelled out. 

"I am not!" 

"Julia!" He yelled and hit her, hard on the side of the head. 

She yelped out and didn't say anything after. 

"I thought so. Now, get in the car, we are going to be late for church." 

Julia slowly walks out to the car and went to church with her father. 

After church her mother picks her up from her fathers and she sighs when she sees Julia in a dress and a bruise on the side of her head. She gets out of the car and tells Julia to wait in the car.

"What the hell William." She yells when the car door shuts, but Julia can still her them. 

"What! What did I do?!" 

"Put her in a dress, when you know that she doesn't like and don't think that I didn't see that bruise on the side of her head." 

"I told her to change into the dress because she looks like a boy!" William yells. 

"Who cares! Who cares if she looks like a boy. Who cares! Its not a big deal, if she want to be a boy then let her!" 

"No, I will not have a tr**y kid!" William says. 

"Screw you William. I am taking this back to court." She says and left. 

"Hey, sweetie." Doreen said. 

"Hi mom" Julia smiles "Do you really mean that?" 

"Mean what?" 

"That you don't care if I am a boy?" 

"You heard that then." She said. 

"The whole neighbourhood heard you." Julia smiles. 

Doreen smiles "But yes, I mean it." 

"Cool, thanks mom."