21. Birthday

Bokuto crawled into bed, trying to be quiet. Of course, Akaashi turned over and groaned at him. "What is it?" 

"I'm trying to get in bed. It's okay." 

"Mm." Akaashi pulled him down, hugging him. "You're late." 

Bokuto flushed. "Sorry." 

Akaashi laughed. "It's okay…" 

Bokuto gently turned him over, where he was laying before. "You're so silly." 

Akaashi giggled. He relaxed into Bokuto's chest, holding his hand. 

"Sleepy?" 

"Mhmm." Akaashi turned around, putting his head where it normally went. "I used to kiss right here." 

"You know I hate when you say things about that." 

"Sorry…" 

Bokuto put Akaashi's beanie over his eyes. "Sleep."

"Hey!" 

Bokuto laughed. "What? What?" He started tickling Akaashi. Akaashi burst into laughter, holding on as Bokuto tickled him. "Surrender!" 

"Never!" 

Bokuto laughed, grabbing one of his feet and tickling him. Akaashi screamed, howling with laughter. He started to cough, choking on his spit and getting overwhelmed with the work of breathing so fast. Bokuto stopped and sat him up, putting Akaashi's arms up. "Woah there. Are you okay?" 

Akaashi nodded, taking deep breaths. He punched Bokuto's arm. "Ass." 

"Ow." Bokuto flicked him. "Jerk." 

Akaashi leaned against him, poking his thigh. Some part of him wanted moments like these to happen more often. It was… Painful. He used to have moments like this all the time with Bokuto. They used to be so in love with each other. 

Akaashi was still healing from Ren's abuse and his passing. He couldn't just jump into a new relationship. It wasn't fair for himself or his well-being. It had only been two months and he just couldn't do it yet. 

"You good?" 

Akaashi nodded. "Thinking." 

Bokuto laid him down. "Maybe it is time to go to bed." 

Akaashi shifted a bit, curling up into Bokuto's chest. Tonight was a bit different as Bokuto's fingers traced his spine to keep him calm and get him to sleep. He felt safe here. 

It was a love he missed but couldn't accept quite yet. 

He knew Bokuto was patient but he'd already waited so long for Akaashi. Why keep going? By now he could have married someone else and had a family. He could have someone a whole lot better. Someone not so insecure in their Image and feelings. 

****

Akaashi leaned back, trying to relax. Tsukishima and Bokuto we're in his room, the younger in a wheelchair. "Are you sure you're okay?" 

"Tired." Akaashi looked over. "How does your back feel?"

"It's sore which isn't that bad. But they made me get a wheelchair because I'm " too lanky and risk hurting my back". Or something stupid like that." 

Akaashi laughed. "Wait till the pain meds wear off." 

Bokuto watched as Tsukishima's bone marrow was eased into Akaashi's bloodstream. Akaashi seemed pretty okay but he was obviously tired from conditioning. It had taken around ten days and the medications had made him incredibly weak.