-'01

CHAPTER ONE
ପଓ
Not so perfect January morning

•••

He was running through the hallways, almost knocking off a man and making a girl with pink converse drop her books to the floor.

He rapidly picked up one and gave it to the man next to her, shouting a quick "Sorry!", before breaking in a run again.

He was late— again.

He had distracted himself while watching the sky. The birds flying next to the clouds, and the sun shining down to the city. He saw a peculiar small red bird pass by his window, and position itself in the branch of the tree just outside his building. Mesmerized by its beauty, he sat in the ledge of the window, with his notebook in hand, and started drawing the creature.

That took him most of the morning, nonchalant about getting to class. However, he had forgotten— like always —that he was asked to get 30 minutes earlier that day.

He jumped up the stairs 2 at a time, almost falling at the last step. His classroom was at the 4th floor , to the end of the hallway. He broke into a run and stopped in front of the door.

Opening it a little too aggressively, he exclaimed, "I'm sorry! I know, I know, I'm super la-"

He stopped when he noticed no one was there.

He frowned, he clearly remembered Professor Quint strictly asking them to be there at 9 o'clock in the morning.

He checked his clock— 9:20 a.m.

Where the hell was everyone?

"Late as always, Scamander", said someone at his back.

He turned his head slightly and smiled, "Jane! Where is everyone else?"

Jane was leaning against the wall across the hall. Her strong features were marked by waves of dark brown hair that hung down the sides of her face. Her tanned skin and her amber eyes seemed brighter in the light, and a mischievous smile was etched on her face.

"Classroom C12", she said while straightening up, "I came to see if you were here yet. Come on, Professor Quint is waiting."

She started to walk towards the stairs and he followed her to the floor below, "Why are we going there? Isn't it used mostly for trainings?"

"You really live up in the clouds don't you?" Jane smiled at him when he caught up to her. "Professor Quint has been talking for weeks about today! Some English dudes he is friends with are coming, with some students from the academy in England too— I think."

"You think?" He grinned at her, quirking an eyebrow.

She pushed him on the arm slightly and grinned back, "Oh, fuck off. Quint said the students could come until next week, if they didn't come today. He wasn't told; he said it this morning."

He saw her smirk, "If you had been here early, you would have know." She paused, "although you probably would have been watching out the window, paying no attention to the rest of us."

He opened his mouth to try to contradict her, but thought about it better, and knew she was probably right.

"Now, hurry up!" She said starting to run away, "Before Quint goes all Troll on us!"