| Chapter One |

I am the Princess of Wynnearth and the beloved sister of prince Dorian. I'm also the king's assassin, known as the Dark Shadow in the realm. I was certainly not destined to root in the rooftops of Castynne -The capital- in the dead of the night like a vulgar thief.

I stared at the gloaming sky wondering, where the hell was my target? The rebel should have been at the Falling Angel by now. I didn't hunt him the whole week so he can change his projects.

Damn it, Father wouldn't be pleased if I come back into the palace empty-handed. And I didn't plan to do so anyway.

I sighed, and gracefully jumped to the ground. The cold breeze of the capital hit me while I pull up my hood. Brullo would say that it's useless since my face is always covered by a mask when I go out for a mission. But Brullo doesn't possess an inch of style, so he was in no right to talk.

Then, like a piece of the darkness's gown, I slink into the city tracking down my prey.

It took me half an hour to find the rebel. He was as I believed at a whorehouse. Men are far easily predictable. When he gets out, I stick to his heels, hidden in the dark, waiting for the opportunity to kill him.

I ambushed him in a glooming pathway, he was taller than I was, probably stronger too. But he was also drunk. He didn't even notice when I quickly shove my dagger in his chest. And it was done, the fool fell to the ground. Dead.

I glared at the carcass, and frown. That wasn't natural. It shouldn't have been that simple. This jackass is supposed to be one of the leaders of the rebellion against the king. Not an idiot who got himself killed without even fighting.

A crackling sound from behind me made me tense. In less than a heartbeat, I sharply turned to my opponent and slam my cutlass into his heart. My weapons meet steel. Good, this night wouldn't be that boring after all.

I took out Thénis my saber from its scabbard. And faced him. He was surprisingly young for a rebel. Also taller than I was. Blond hair. Muscular body, he could have a pretty face if it's wasn't orned by scars. A trained fighter for sure. Not anyone can hold a sword as he does. I feel like it's gonna be diverting.

I feinted to the left and slashed his stomach. Or at least I tried. He dodged and attacked me from the left. I parried his sword with the flat of mine. And return the blow to him.

« You're not that bad as a fighter,» I whispered. Yes, he was good. But not enough I was the Dark Shadow after all. And no one can put me down.

« I am, indeed,» he said while pounding me with methodical heavy strikes. He touched me. My hips burned, but I didn't let it show. It drives me mad so I hit him. Hard. A slash. He hardly dodged. I kick him to the face. He fell to the dirty ground. I lead Thénis to his heart.

He swept my legs. And I collapsed in the mud. Before I even get to move, he kicked my hand and Thénise escaped from me. His sword threatened my throat.

«So this is the well-known Dark Shadow,» he said

My breath was harsh. And my heart was pounding in my chest. « In flesh and bone,» I said. A wicked smile borning on my lips. «And you are the rebel leader aren't you?»

«Pleased to meet you,» he said.

So I'm I.

« So you arranged all this little trap for the pleasure of meeting me? » I asked. The rebels should have spies in Father's counsel. I don't see how otherwise they managed to trick me.

«Not exactly, we rather do wish to bargain with you»

Well, I didn't expect that. But he piques my curiosity. So I said :

«What kind of bargain?»

«The useful kind I hope,» he said smirking at me. « Maybe we can start our little chat by you removing your mask»

«Like hell, I am» I answered. I took a dagger from inside my boat and stabbed his arm. He dropped his sword and grabbed his aching limb. Oh boy, that's not a good idea. I jump on my feet take back Thénise from the ground. I knock his ankle. He fell. And I put my sword against his throat.

«I prefer this position, don't you?» I grinned.

«It's a little bit uncomfortable,» he said trying to put on an emotionless face. He barely succeeded.

«Really? Too bad 'cuz I don't give a damn» I said, a wicked smile taking shape on my lips. «I hope your bargain is worth my time, your life depends on it»

«We need you to kill someone for us,» he said. I blinked and stared at him. God, he was serious. I threw back my head and laughed. He looks at me with widened eyes. Which makes me laugh harder. «Oh, you can't be serious, why the hell would I do anything for rebels?» The word comes out of my mouth with disdain. He noticed it. But I didn't mind anyway.

«For information that can save the former king's life,» he said with teeth clenched. I tensed, and fear got under my skin, not Dorian.

«Tell me more,» I said without betraying my panic.

«Would you do what you had been asked? » he said

Anger hit me as I pressed Thénise in his shoulder, making red blood flow on his tunic. He flinched but didn't let go of my gaze. I can count on the fingers of one hand people who had ever held my stare, most of them are dead by my hand. «I am the one giving questions, who's after the prince's head,» I asked.

«I'm not going to give you any information if you don't collaborate»

«So I don't need you any longer»

I could have killed him. God knows how I wanted to. But he despaired under my eyes.

Fucking magic.