Chapter 2: A Kings Daughter

Canteen followed Julia through the farmer's market while holding the guard's sword.

"Quick! In the forest, they wont spot us!" Julia led the way, going sharp turns to avoid any and all guardsmen, and dodging the frail pedestrians walking past them.

"Hurry!" Julia held Canteen's hand, while shooting straight towards the thick forest.

They both hid behind the bushes, concealing themselves from the corrupted Guards that were patrolling around. What appeared to be the leader had a long red slanted stripe, he looked left and right. "Half will resume patrol and the rest will join me in seeking the two rascals." His voice was deep and commanding, they nodded and marched away.

"Where are we heading?" Canteen whispered to Julias ear. "They are going to find us if we don't leave."

"We are heading to my hometown, a safe place for witches." Julia crouched while holding Canteen's arm. "It isn't far, only five miles out. Besides you helped a Witch, if you were caught you would be in prison in who knows where."

Canteen shook his head, "I don't understand, why did the king order the guards to capture all the witches? It...it's not fair!" He followed along as Julia made quick turns through the forest.

She looked at Canteen with eyes that suggested she's hiding the truth, "I want to thank you for saving my life back there." Julia switched the conversation.

"I...I couldn't watch another innocent Witch get taken and..." Canteen couldn't get himself to say the rest. Julia found the pathway to her village, the forest was heavy and the sun barely shone through the forest rooftops. Julia switched from running to walking, "Don't worry they wont find the pathway here."

Canteen held in his anger towards the king, "Canteen, my name is Canteen. Yours?"

"I go by, Julia" She said next to him while she walked through the gloomy forest.

"You brought the guard's sword?" Julia just now saw Canteen's sword on his right arm.

"Oh! Yes, I brought it to protect you!" Canteen waved the fairly sized sword with joy.

"Protect me? You got beaten up..." Laughed Julia while pointing at Canteen.

"Hey, it's the thought that counts!" Canteen laughed back,

"Why did you go into the city?" Canteen finally questioned Julia

"For water, specifically black water." Julia showed a canister of pitch-black water, Canteen stopped walking through the forest and looked at the canister that contained the black-water,

"Don't they have black-water over there in your town?" Canteen looked at Julia, intrigued.

"The king must've ordered the knights to accumulate all the blackwater around to deplete the witches. Cruel, but very intelligent." Julia went silent, saddened by the king's hatred towards the witches.

Canteen tried to break the awkward silence. "Black-water must be important..."

"Very, witches are dying without it." Julia said while drinking the blackwater from the canister.

Canteen clenched his sword in frustration for the Witches, he held his new sword high at the sky,

"I will not fight for a cruel king! I will fight for peace! Not just witches, but for everyone!" Canteen vowed, he waved his sword high.

Julia gave a smile, she found hope for the witches and people alike.