31. Flutters and Butterflies

Music for the Chapter: Banarasiya by Shreya Ghosal from Raanjhanaa

Badrinath was exactly as I remember it. Beautiful. The Nar-Narayana mountains with the Neelkanth mountain. The three mountains were visible behind the temple. It was built in the typical 'pahadi' style of architecture. The outer entrance was extremely beautiful. Colourful and decorated with flowers.

Badri Vishal Badrinarayana, the deity of the town had appeared here on the banks of river Alaknanda to do Tapasya. Deep in his Tapasya, he was unaware of the cold unfriendly conditions outside. Out of her love, Devi Lakshmi appeared there as a large Badri tree, covering him from the harsh temperature. Hence, he was called Badrinath.

A large statue of Garuda was standing there facing the deity straight. I had once come here during the opening ceremony. During the winters, Badrinaraya is taken from Badrinath to Jyotishmath. When he returns in April again, he is brought on a Garuda statue carved from wood. A large procession goes around. People bring him back with great celebration. It is a sight to see. This is how he's treated on Earth, it is a wonder how he is in Vaikuntha.

We did darshan of Badrinarayana in the temple and went to meet the Rawal ji. Only he would be able to tell us where Tejovisha was. We waited for him for a while and then he came in.

"You're Mantri ji's granddaughter, aren't you?" He asked me. I nodded with a smile.

"Yes. Sonakshi." I greeted him with respect.

"Are you the girl he adopted from here?" He asked.

"umm..." I didn't know where he ever got me from. The conversation had never come there. "I'm not sure..."

"Rawal ji, I think this is her sister. The girl he already had before he adopted the girl. The girl you are asking about is Alaknanda."

"Oh, yes... I remember. She was named after the river." Rawal ji realized.

"Alaknanda was adopted from here?" I asked.

"We had found her in the temple, left in a corner. Someone had left her there. I even wondered how parents can be so irresponsible and leave away their child while they come for darshan..." He realized. "Mantri ji came and adopted her when no one came to take the baby."

Nana adopted her from here?? A doubt came to my mind. If she was here in Badrinath, then how come Mama never found out? Obviously, Mama stays right in that temple's garbha griha. Rishi Nar Narayana and their energies are here. Then how come none of them could find out??

I turned to look at Omkara. Maybe he would realize.

"Rawal ji, you know a while ago, the news came up they found a bow?" Harsh asked. "Would it be possible for us to see it? I'm Harsh. Harsh Kumar Pandit."