6 | 結婚?

TAEHYUNG LOOKED AT HER standing behind Jungkook, clutching fiercely at his shirt. She looked lost and forlorn and very afraid.

He was glad she at least trusted Jungkook, even if she had no idea she did. She was clearly assigning jungkook the role of protector. From him.

Jungkook warned him with his eyes not to push. Hell, he could figure that much out without Jungkook’s warnings. Jennie looked like a frightened fawn. Ready to bolt with the least provocation.

He sighed and sat down on the couch. “Come here, baby.”

She clutched at Jungkook’s hand and chewed nervously at her lip.

What had made her so afraid? Who had hurt her so badly that she couldn’t trust him or his brothers?

Jungkook’s arm went around her, squeezing her reassuringly even as he guided her forward. He cupped her chin and forced her to look up at him. “No one will hurt you, doll. I swear it. No one will ever hurt you again.”

She relaxed a bit at his vow then turned her nervous gaze at taehyung. “Are you angry?” she asked softly.

He held out a hand to her and felt an insane sense of victory when she trustingly curled her hand into his. He pulled her into his arms and smoothed her hair from her eyes.

“I’m not angry, baby. Not at you. Never at you. I’m angry at the son of a bitch who hurt you, who put that fear I see into your eyes.”

He tugged her down further into his arms then kissed her, gently, lightly, feather soft across her mouth.

For a moment, she melted into his arms, and she fit so damn perfect, like she’d always belonged there. Then she tensed and yanked away from him, torment and self-loathing burning brightly in her eyes.

With an inarticulate cry, she ran past him and down the hall to the bedroom.

Taehyung started after her, surprised by her reaction. Jungkook’s hand on his arm stopped him.

“You’re going to have to explain,” Jungkook said. “Now.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

Jungkook sighed and dragged a hand through his hair. “She thinks she’s a whore.”

“What?”

“Come on, Tae, you know she has to be confused. She’s attracted to the three of us. Some bastard has told her she’s a whore and now she believes him. She doesn’t understand herself or us. You have to explain it to her.”

“You’re right,” Taehyung said with a deep sigh. “I’ll talk to her.”

He walked down the hall to the bedroom, his brothers following a short distance behind. He knocked softly, not wanting to alarm her by barging in. “Jennie, honey, it’s me, Taehyung.”

“Go away.” Her voice, muffled by sobs, filtered through the door.

He opened the door, flinching when he saw her huddled on the bed, her eyes red-rimmed. She’d discarded Jimin’s coat on the floor.