16 | 受け付けできません

HE HUNG UP AND TOSSED the phone aside. He had a dozen questions he'd wanted to ask, but his priority was getting to Jennie as fast as he could.

"What's going on?" Jungkook demanded.

"She wants us to come get her at the sheriff's office," he replied.

He glanced at Jimin in his rearview mirror and saw relief flash across his brother's face.

They roared into town and down the street toward the sheriff's office. Taehyung frowned when a BMW nearly took off the front end of the Land Rover.

"Son of a bitch," Taehyung swore. "That's her husband."
He slammed on the brakes, opening the door before the Land Rover came to a complete stop.

Had the bastard taken her? Had soo-young let him walk out with her?

The brothers hit the pavement running.

Taehyung was first to the door and flung it open, scanning the interior for Jennie. Tension left him when he saw her huddled behind a desk. She looked up and, with a small cry, launched herself across the room and into his arms.

She hit him square in the chest, and he caught her up in his arms.

"Thank God you're all right," he said in a low voice.
She clung to him tightly, her face buried in his neck.

"I did it," she whispered. "I told him I wanted a divorce."

Taehyung stroked her hair and kissed her temple, all the while satisfaction humming through his veins.

Reluctantly, he set her down. Just as quickly, Jungkook folded her up in his arms, holding on as tight to her as Taehyung had. Jungkook kissed her lingeringly, his relief over her safety evident.
Across the room, Soo-young's mouth fell open. Then her eyes widened in understanding.

He knew the realization had hit her.

"It wasn't me," she said faintly. "It was never me. It was them."

Taehyung didn't pretend to misunderstand. He ran a hand through his hair and walked a few steps closer to Soo-young.

"I made a mistake," he said honestly. "You're a good woman, Soo-young."

"Not good enough apparently," she said bitterly.
He sighed. He hadn't wanted this scene between them and especially not in front of Jennie.

Once he'd been attracted to Soo-young, even thought his brothers might feel the same, but they hadn't.

Jungkook had reacted indifferently to her, and Jiminy had instantly disliked her. He knew then it would never work between them, but it hadn't stopped him from spending time with her on occasion. She'd been good company and someone to have a beer with. But she wasn't the one destined to occupy a place in his heart.
That was reserved for Jennie.

He gazed at the hurt he saw in Soo-young's eyes and wished he wasn't the cause of it.

"We should be going," Jimin said, speaking up for the first time. "It's supposed to snow."

"I need her to sign that statement," Soo-young said flatly. "Then y'all can be on your way."

She rummaged around on her desk for a moment then flipped a piece of paper and a pen to the end. Jennie approached and looked down at the blank paper.

"What should I say?" she asked softly.

"Whatever's on your mind," Soo-young drawled. "I'm married but don't want to be. Or maybe, I'm fucking with the minds of four men."

Soo-young shrugged. "Just make it quick. I've got work to do."

"That's enough, Soo-young," Taehyung said, his voice harsher than he intended.

Jennie scribbled three lines then signed her name with a flourish. She flicked the pen back across the desk at Soo-young then turned away.

She walked toward the door where Jimin and Jungkook still stood, her intention clear. She was ready to go.

"Let me get your coat," Jimin said gruffly. "You forgot to bring it."

He ducked out of the office and was back within thirty seconds carrying Jennie's coat. He helped her into it then wrapped his arm protectively around her.

"I'm taking her out to the Rover."

Taehyung nodded and watched as Jungkook followed them outside. He turned back to soo-young, his lips pulled thin.

"I understand you're upset, but that's no reason to be a bitch to Jennie."

Soo-young's cheeks flamed at his reprimand.

"Why didn't you ever tell me they had to accept me too?" she demanded.

"Because they didn't," he said quietly.

"So I never had a chance."
Taehyung shook his head. "No."

Her fingers curled into fists at her sides. "Well then, there isn't much more to say is there? Have a nice life with your helpless little doll."

Taehyung's eyelids narrowed at her insult, but he refused to be baited into further argument. Jennie waited for him to take her home. And that was all that mattered.

He turned and walked away.