8 | 買い物

JENNIE SAT AT THE BAR between Taehyung and Jimin as Jungkook served up plates of ham and eggs. She glanced between them often, gauging their mood, their reaction to her, but they seemed unruffled.

It was as if they made such proclamations every day. She shook her head and speared another piece of egg with her fork.

How could such a relationship work? Jealousy would be inevitable. And things would be much more difficult for her than for any of them. They only had one 'spouse' to contend with, she had three.

Three men to please, put up with, all different. The mere idea of the complexities involved in the situation made her head ache even harder.

Jungkook was obviously the easiest going of the three brothers. She relaxed around him. It was a natural reaction.

And Taehyung though he had gone to great lengths to make her feel at ease, she knew he could be dangerous when crossed. He exuded power and authority, wore it like a mantle draped around him.

Her gaze flitted sideways to Jimin. He was an enigma. The only one she didn't have an idea formed about already. He was quiet and serious, but more than that, she saw pain in his eyes. Like her, he'd seen the darker side of life. She'd bet her last dollar on it.

"Are you all right?" Jungkook asked.

She looked up to see him frowning at her.

"Just a headache," she replied.

He walked to one of the cabinets and retrieved a bottle of ibuprofen, shook out several pills and handed them to her. Just one more example of them taking care of her. It warmed her to her toes and scared the hell out of her all at the same time.

"What's on your mind, baby?" Taehyung asked.

Was she that easy to read? Could they already see inside her mind and soul? Her fingers tensed on her fork for a moment as she contemplated denying that anything was on her mind, but Taehyung's honesty compelled her to be equally honest.

"The dynamics of the whole relationship you all propose... It's rather mind-boggling," she admitted.

She didn't miss the triumphant smiles passed between the brothers. Surely to them, this was a sign they were making headway. And maybe they were, as insane as she was to even contemplate it.

"Anything in particular you want to talk about?" Taehyung prompted.

She sighed and set down her fork. "This has all pretty much blown me away. I don't even know where to begin. I keep expecting to be told this is one huge joke at my expense."

Jimin put a hand on her knee. "This is no joke. Now tell us what's on your mind."

She took in a deep breath, told herself she was completely nuts and then proceeded to tell them precisely what concerns she had.

"The thing is, you guys only have one person to concern yourselves with, relationship wise. I have three. Three overbearing, overprotective, rather large men. I don't see how it's remotely possible that I could please all of you all of the time."

Cocky, self-assured grins adorned the three men's faces.

"I don't think any of us expect perfection," Jungkook said. "Though," he added with an up and down sweep of her, "I'm not arguing with what we've been given."