03. STAIRWAY TO SPACE

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Atsushi barged into the disciplinary committee's office, holding his bag close to his chest. He let out a few pants as he struggled to catch his breath, gaining the attention of the other committee members?

"Atsushi?" Kunikida calls out, pausing in his work. The white-haired boy holds up his hand, his chest still heaving for air. After a few minutes, he gulps and manages to stand up straight. Kunikida pushes up his glasses before asking, "What's gotten you so worked up?"

"Kunikida-senpai... It's the Tanizaki siblings!" Atsushi begins, hurriedly dumping his bag on his desk. "It's like... nobody remembers them! I asked everyone in Jun'ichirou's class and they all said they didn't know who he was! The same goes for Naomi-san!"

"Are you sure it isn't some prank Naomi set up to mess with us?" Kunikida huffs, turning back to his computer. "It's entirely possible they've gotten their classes involved."

"I mean... I guess," Atsushi mutters, seemingly embarrassed by his previously panicked state.

"Mm... no, you're far from being right, Kunikida-kun," Ranpo hums, leaning back in his chair. A lollipop stick pokes out from his lips as he stares ahead with closed eyes.

"Oh? Then what's the issue?" Kunikida questions, keeping his back turned to the third year. Ranpo hums softly before pulling the candy out of his mouth, twirling it by the stick.

"The Tanizaki siblings went to the art room," Ranpo points out, suddenly chomping on the remaining bit of his lollipop. "I warned them before they left but I guess they didn't listen."

"Oh? Are we dealing with the Honorable No. 2 this time around?" A familiar voice hums through the air. Seemingly appearing out of nowhere, which was more than likely considering the spirit's tendencies, (Name) could be found sitting on Fukuzawa's armrest. "To think we'd encounter more of the seven mysteries so soon..."

"No. 2... You're talking about the second of the seven mysteries, right?" Atsushi assumed, earning a nod from the spirit.

"Let's see... Was there anyone else acting the same way you are now?" (Name) questioned, prompting Atsushi to tilt his head.

"What do you mean?"

"Panicked and trying to convince everyone that somebody existed," (Name) pointed out, hiding their arms under their black trenchcoat. "Like anyone in your class?"

"Um... Oh, Yashiro-san!" Atsushi gasps. (Name) nodded in acknowledgment before walking over to Atsushi and grabbing his arm. They began pulling him towards the door, calling over their shoulder, "We'll be off, then!"

"Come back in one piece!" Ranpo shouted back as (Name) closed the door behind them.

─────────