Chapter 7

I woke up in a weird place. I was at a cemetery behind a group of people. How did I get here? The last thing I remember is Grandma telling me to relax and putting her hands on my face. Suddenly a person walked into me but didn't stop, he just kept walking. Was I invisible? I walked straight and went through the funeral guests, I got the feeling each time. I reached the front and there stood a younger teenage Aunt Sam. She was crying and I suddenly knew where I was. Somehow, I was at my Aunt Rosalie's funeral. A younger but the same-looking Grandma D walked over to young Aunt Sam. The poised Grandma D I know now was not there, she was upset but also had relaxed features. Then I saw someone that I've wanted to see forever. My mum. She walked over to Grandma D and Aunt Sam and gave them a hug. She seemed to be looking for someone, maybe Rachel.

"Why did she have to die?" Aunt Sam sobbed.

"Because your Grandfather got drunk and picked her up in his stupid car and got in an accident. I will never drink again, stupid drunk driver. Glad I kicked his ass to the curb." Grandma D mumbled.

"It's all my fault," Mum said and burst into tears.

"No, it isn't, she chose to run away," Grandma D corrected.

"It's your fault," a voice screeched.

I turned around and saw a younger Rachel coming towards my family. She was stumbling and then skipping. Drunk. She arrived but walked straight past them and grabbed the microphone of the priest.

"Hello beautiful people," Rachel slurred.

"Get down Rach," Mum yelled.

"Is she drunk?" Aunt Sam asked.

"Most definitely," Grandma D said.

"I am up here to say that this is all Jacklyn's fault. She could have just let us be happy but no, she had to say it wasn't ok. We were your best friend and sister; you were supposed to be happy for us," Rachel paused.

"But no, you wanted your sister to have kids and get married. Now I lost the love of my life to a homophobic sister and a drunk man. She should have called me, not him. I wasn't getting drunk because she left, I was looking for her, unlike her family. We were a group us 4, and now it's shattered," Rachel yelled but it came out as more of a sob.

"Get down from there right now before I call the police," Grandma D bellowed.

"I'm going," Rachel slurred and stumbled over to my family.

"How dare you say those things," Mum yelled angrily.

"Jacklyn stop," Aunt Sam warned.

"No," Mum growled.

"Get away from me before I hurt you," Rachel yelled.

"Do it, I dare you."

"Girls," Grandma D warned.

"Do it," Mum repeated.

Rachel raised her hand and slapped Mum across the face. The noise rang across the cemetery and everything went silent. Mum was holding her red face and Rachel was crying. Aunt Sam ran to Mum's side and Grandma D stepped between them.

"It's best you go now Rachel," Grandma D said gently.

"Ok. Oh, and I won't be returning for the rest of school. I'm moving to New York to finish school and then start at university for my teaching degree. I'm going to become a teacher like you. See you in a few years, thank you for being my mother for my childhood. You were a way better Mum than my biological one," Rachel said and hugged Grandma D.

"Go away, we never want to see you again," Aunt Sam said before Rachel walked away.

I watched her figure walk away and the familiar pain entered my head. I passed out once again. I opened my eyes and I was back in Rachel's classroom. Grandma D was collapsed on Rachel's chair and the others were looking at me concerned. I got up and crushed Rachel in a hug.

"I'm sorry my Mum did that to you," I whispered and pulled away from the hug.

"Are you ok Mum? You haven't done that in a while," Aunt Sam asked.

"I'm fine Samantha, just need to go for a walk. It was hard living through that again," Grandma D replied and left the room.

"How did she do that?" I asked.

"She's just always been able to do it. Like you can hurt with your touch," Aunt Sam explained.

"That's cool, thank you for showing me. So, you were in love with my aunt?" I giggled.

"Yes, I very much was and will always be," Rachel replied, her eyes brimming with tears.

"Go on and do your assignment, I haven't got it yet and it's due after tomorrow when you're no longer suspended," Aunt Sam said and I headed to the common room.

'4th January 1916

Dearest Mother,

I'm pregnant, I thought you'd want to know. It's so amazing to feel another human inside of you. I became Principal of Stonewall Academy 3 months ago. The students miss you very much. I don't know how to live up to your esteemed reputation. I'm going to call my Daughter Daisy and she will be as kind as you. Hopefully as smart as me. Over these 3 months, I found a lake outside the school, not to far. I'll tell my daughter about it when she goes here. It is a beautiful lake and I built a tire swing. I think in the future it will be used for legendary celebrations. One day while working on the swing I got hot and wanted a drink. It gave me an idea to build a automatic drink service. I told the groundskeeper Arthur (also my baby's father) about the lake and he agreed to help. Every night after the students went to bed we worked tirelessly. I was exhausted because of the Pregnancy so I stuck to building the machine. Arthur dug a tunnel from the school power source all the way to the lake. At the end of my pregnancy we both finished and I installed the drink service. The next day I had your grandchild and I named her Daisy like I wanted. She is the cutest baby.

I miss you helping me control my powers, they are getting stronger. I can now kill with a touch, never used to be able to do that. I hope this power runs in the family, it is a true gift but also a curse.

Missing you,

Lilly Adler'

I sat down on the couch in front of the fireand put the blanket over me. My head was swirling with all the information thatI just learned. I did as Aunt Sam's suggested and got out the Adler Diary. Iclosed the book and thought about the letter. I'll have to go to that place. Iflipped through the next few pages but couldn't find one written by Daisy.Maybe she just forgot. I found one from around the time Daisy would have adaughter and started reading.