Chapter Six

Kai

"Get yo ass up" I hear Darrel yell from the other room. I open my eyes and there's a light from one side of the room. I look over and the monitor of Darrel's computer is on. There's a random forest background on it. The time reads 4:30.

I get up and open the door to see Darrel standing there.

"Good morning miss Kailey." He reaches out his hand. "I know it's Saturday but we have a lot to do today."

I slowly blink at him with a confused look on my face. What are we doing? I sign.

He smiles and slowly puts his hand in his pocket, "One thing at a time, currently you are going to help me make breakfast."

Great I sign trying to show sarcasm. He ignores it and walks towards the kitchen.

"Come on Kai!" He yells. I roll my eyes and walk into the kitchen.

"What do you want," he asks pointing at the fridge.

I shrug my shoulders, then reach for the fridge door. I open the door and I see eggs and bacon. I point at the food and stare at Darrel. He looks at me and smirks. He grabs the eggs and bacon and places them on the counter.

"We will start with the bacon, I have grease in the cupboard. Can you grab it for me?"

I nod and reach for the handle to the cupboard. I grasp the handle and open the door. Instantly there's a mason jar with the words grease sloppily written on it. I grab the jar and put it on the countertop.

"Pour about half of that in the pan," Darrel says.

I do a double-take. Half? I sign. He shakes his head yes. I look at the jar and twist the lid off. I poured half of the grease into the pan on the stovetop.

Darrel rips open the package of bacon and starts laying them in the pan. Instantly they sizzle and make a popping noise. Once he lays five strips in the pan, he closes the package back up and sticks it in the fridge.

"Kai give them a few more seconds then flip them over," he says.

I reach for the tongs and get ready to flip the bacon. Darrel has the heat up almost all the way which is cooking them fast. I stand there staring at the pan.  Darrel elbows me to signal me to flip the bacon. I grab one end and then flip a single strip over.

"Good job miss Kailey" he pauses "Shit sorry."

I don't even have time to sign it's okay before I flip the next strip. It makes a loud sizzle which makes me jump.

"Haha calm down it's okay it won't hurt you. I mean I can flip them if you want me to," he asks.

I shake my head no. I slowly flip over the net strip and it again makes a sizzling noise. I flip the next two with no complications. 

"Kai you did amazing! What do you want to make with the eggs?" 

I shrug, I don't recall the different types of eggs you can make. 

"Hm how about scrambled?" asks Darrel.

Again I shrug, I don't care. I'll eat whatever he makes. Darrel opens the carton of eggs and stares at them. He takes another minute then grabs two of them and sets them in a bowl. He walks over to the pan with bacon in it and starts putting the strips on a plate. Once all of the bacon is out of the pan, he pours the grease back into the mason jar labeled 'grease'. He puts the pan the bacon was in back on the stovetop. He then moves on to the eggs. He starts cracking them in the bowl while looking for any shells that could have fallen in. Then he mixes the egg yolk together. Afterward, he throws the fork in the sink and he hands the bowl to me. 

"Pour this into the pan," he says. 

I stand still with the bowl in my hands and look up at him with a pleading look.

He looks at me and smiles, "Arent you a teenager? You need to learn how to cook."

I put the bowl down and sign, I know how to cook I just haven't cooked eggs in ages!

"Well, you need to learn again. Oh and be more confident. I promise you won't do anything wrong."

I glare at him then grab the bowl. I pour the eggs in and again a sizzle. Darrel grabs a spatula and flips it upside down so that the backside of the flat part is backward. 

"Watch and learn," he says. He pushes the spatula against the eggs and they start to scramble. Within one minute they are done and he puts them on a plate with the bacon. 

"Kai can you set the table?" he asks. 

I grab two plates and sit them across from each other at his table. Darrel places the plate of food in the middle and sits down. I get us forks and napkins then I follow Darrel's actions of sitting down. 

"Dig in," he says with his fork already in his hand. 

                                                            {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

I lay on my floor in front of the door. I lift my head and look over at the computer monitor on Darrel's desk. The time reads 6:30 am. I put my head back down and lay staring at the ceiling. I hear my phone buzzing on the bed. I shrug it off as the floor is way too comfortable. I let myself drown in my sweatshirt. Breakfast was good and I was surprised at how well it turned out. 

"Kai it's time for....what the hell are you doing on the floor?" Darrel says as he hit's my head with the door. 

I look at him and just smile hoping he won't question it too much. 

"Okay, whatever. It's time for our next thing of today. Get your shoes on."

I get up and walk towards my shoes. I slip them on without tieing them. I stare at them because they are my favorite pair of shoes. They are rainbow-colored and I love them. I turn around after a while and look at the bed. My phone is lying face-up on the bed. I wonder who texted me, but at the same time, I don't want it to be someone I don't want to talk to. I walk towards my phone keeping eye contact with it. I stick my hand out and tap the screen. It lights up and I read the screen. One new text message from: Mother. Fuck I pull away from my phone. She must be so mad at me. She probably has no clue where I am and is pissed.