adoption

-1-

"hyung?" jungkook spoke in a small, soft voice while staring down at his own lap with a thoughtless expression.

beside him was a skinny, jet black haired boy who's stare could slice through you in an instant. though, the boy showed no signs of ever wanting to use that much of his energy. he leaned back into the cushion he was situated on top of and spread his toe beans apart, which released faint cracking sounds.

"yes jungkook? speak now before i fall back asleep." he answered lazily, blatantly wanting nothing more than to doze back off into a deep, uninterrupted slumber. but he knew that was simply impossible as long as he shared a pen with his talkative younger companion.

"do you think we'll ever get out of this place? like y'know... get adopted? or whatever it is they call it." jungkook asked, nervousness laced in his voice as he knew he never got a good response when he mentioned the subject to the elder.

the previously sleepy boy sprung up (while still slouching slightly) when he heard that word adopted. there was absolutely nothing he hated to think about more than the possibility of him having to leave this already horrible place just to go live with a potentially even worse stranger in which he wouldn't ever be able to leave. especially knowing that stranger would be that of one whom he despised more than anything, a human.

"why harp on what we can't change, kook? will presaging the outcome of our future somehow change it?" he questioned, trying to embed some sense into the younger.

"well, no. but don't you ever wonder what it would be like? who would adopt you? and... whether or not we'd ever see each other again? i even heard that if two pen mates get separated, the one left back has only a month to get adopted before they kill them off!" jungkook spieled an anxious string of possibilities which the boy beside him had grown quite used to over the many months the two had been forced to live together.

"oh stop it. you're only scaring yourself for no good reason. if we get adopted we get adopted, if we don't we don't. and that's just how it is. no amount of worrying is going to change the situation so let's just live in the moment okay?" the black haired male spoke gently, a tone he would only ever use on the boy beside him. had he been someone else, jungkook would've received no response at all or a harsh one at that for making such absurd assumptions.

the elder's words caused the boy to relax a bit and get ahold of himself, so he simply nodded in response and leaned back into his own space, proceeding to gnaw on a baby carrot. as he started to grow bored, he began teasing his hyung by hanging a jingley mouse on a string above his head. the boy attempted to remain stoic but couldn't help but paw lazily at the toy and make abrupt pounces at it every so often. jungkook found the fact that his seemingly cold friend still couldn't stray from his cute feline instincts quite amusing.

just as the two finished their brief play time, a tall, blonde haired male approached the door of their barred pen from the outside.

the boy's golden blonde ears flopped down from each side of his head. this contrasted with the large spotted bunny ears protruding from jungkook's head, and the silky pointed black ears spurting from the others'.

he had a curvy and furry tail sticking out of his altered pants which allowed him to freely wag as much as he pleased (which happened to be a lot against his will.) this often gave away his current emotions, while it was his most sensitive limb along with all other hound hybrids who had one.