10 | Dying Words

This story is not intended to promote or encourage actions/behaviors such as suicide, self-harm, or abuse.

Izuku Midoriya

From the silhouette in the night, Midoriya identified the figure in front of him as Bakugou.

"Wh-Where..." gasped Midoriya in a hoarse, defeated cry. "Where is...Shouto?" His voice was sundered before he could finish his sentence, but his words lived on.

"It's your fault..." sibilated the irate ash-blonde in a coruscating growl. "Why'd you let him go down this path?!" Bakugou trembled as he took one ponderous step towards Midoriya, who was nonplussed and at the mercy of his own paralyzing guilt. "You were his reason to live... Why did..." He took yet another thunderous step towards Midoriya. "Why did you have to be so selfish?!" Like a livid lion, Bakugou stormed across the rooftop and lunged for his enervated prey.

Midoriya could only watch as his childhood friend began to hunt him down. I didn't know... I didn't know. I didn't know! I let him die... Shouto... You're right: it is my fault. I should've noticed. I should've been able to stop him. I should've been able to prevent this! But I was too selfish to realize...that he was never okay. I... I made him do this. I made him...kill himself. I don't...deserve to be alive.

Bakugou slammed Midoriya onto the floor with a crackling thud, and with his quaking hands balled into fists, he began to strike Midoriya's face. "It's all your fault! All you h-had to fucking do was be there for him, and you couldn't even fucking do that right!" His torn knuckles wept, spilling their crimson tears onto Midoriya's pained, vacant visage.

The visceral blows of grief that Midoriya endured crunched through his skull, but he felt as though his mind had fluttered free from the fetters of reality. Nearly inaudible became Bakugou's invectives, and even the sputtering, throbbing pain lancing through Midoriya's nerves had become dull and somewhat numb.

I deserve this. He's right... I deserve this... Worthless Deku. Useless Deku. Stupid Deku. Deku, Deku, Deku... He's right. He's right... I'll do it, Kacchan. I'll take a swan dive off the roof. You're furious with me, right? This would make you happy, right? Shouto jumped, didn't he? I'll die the way he did. That's what...I deserve.

Finally, Bakugou faltered in his impetuous eruption of the torrent of ardent, complex feelings cutting him from within. His fist hovered above Midoriya's bruised, bloodied face, but with a choked sob, he dropped that blazing culmination of fury.

Frangible and tattered was Bakugou's voice as he whispered, "I... I'm s-sorry..." He didn't bother to wipe the tears pouring from his eyes as he helped Midoriya to sit up.

Kacchan...apologized? Midoriya pondered as he shook his head and forced himself to his feet. It hurts. It burns. It throbs. Don't apologize to me. I don't deserve any apologies after what I did... I'll make it up to you. I'll give you what you always wanted... He shambled towards the edge of the rooftop, and out of the corner of his eye, he espied something protruding from the ground, but he paid it little mind. I've wanted to die, you've wanted me to die, and now, the person that kept me from trying to die... I let him die. Useless Deku. Useless Deku...

The propinquity of the border separating Midoriya from his own fatality encroached on both his body and mind. "I'm sorry, Kacchan..." He could feel the fall of his chest as he stared into the abyss of gravity.

A gust of wind whipped across Midoriya's skin like blades of grass as his body faltered. Yet, he was embraced not by the void which stole from him the desire to live, but rather, he was embraced by both an embodiment of life, and an embodiment of death.