Chapter 1

This is Spencer's side of things. As time passes by, "hope breads eternal misery" seems to prove truer and truer. Until the day she realized, sometimes, hope is worth having.

————————————

Monday, June 27th, 2016 

7 ½ hours post disappearance

————————————

"Hope breeds eternal misery."

*Montgomery-Hastings Residence*

The first time she forgets is several hours after everything, that night, when it would time for their "bed and bath" routine...

"Rosie! Time for your bath!"

Even though it is the summer, they keep the normal routine of putting the kids to bed, since both Rosie and Scottie are under the age of five.

Scottie is put to bed at 7:30 p.m., after dinner, playtime, bath time, and story time, while Rosie gets to – or used to get to – go to bed at 9, one hour later than normal.

However, as Spencer yells this, and she does not immediately hear a response, her brain sort of... realizes full-force, and the remembrance of today's earlier events smack her in the face – so hard that she actually stumbles while going up the stairs.

She actually has to just... stop for a moment. Just a tiny second to catch her breath because then it being knocked out of her by the thoughts, the thoughts that have haunted her since the moment she realized...

This is your fault!

Rosalie is not here because you didn't do your job!

Shut up, Spencer! Don't say that name; it will only upset Aria! You don't want that to happen, do you?

She stops, listening, making sure no one else heard her. Thankfully, it seems that Em and Hanna are preoccupied in the guest bathroom, giving Scottie a bath, while, as she travels to her bedroom, it sounds like Aria is taking a shower.

No one downstairs – her sister and parents – seem to have heard her, so now, she simply shakes it off, and forgets about it.

————————————

*2 weeks later*

The first time she says it aloud, the first time she does not let the thoughts run ramped just when she is lying in bed, is two weeks later.

14 entire days, and she just...

Breaks.

She kept silent until now. Comforting Aria, taking care of Scottie, conversing with police officers and the Search Rescue teams.

But then she sees that damned Sesame Street-themed gown that Rosie has, and she just... crumples.

And she apologizes, and she sobs, and her heart aches, and she wonders...

Why?

Why Rosie?

Aria tells her that she is not to blame.