𝐬𝐢𝐱

I WAS THE FIRST TO WAKE UP. JOHNNY AND PONYBOY STILL LAYED ON THE COLD, STONE FLOOR OF THE CHURCH.

There wasn't much to do really. The church was cold, but I'd given my jacket to the boys to use as a blanket.

I walked around the church, observing our new living space. It was old, it looked like it had been burnt down at least once or twice. There were cobwebs all over the place I attempted to get rid of using a piece of wood. If we were going to be living here, I wanted to make it at least liveable for us.

While walking around, I accidentally bumped into a piece of wood that was hanging off a table. it fell to the ground with a loud bang.

"Shit!" I whispered. Then I turned around and saw Johnny sitting up and rubbing his face.

"Shelly? You alright?" He asked me.

"Yea, sorry you can go back to sleep."

"No it's okay, I need to go get food anyway. Wanna come?"

"Is Pony okay by himself?"

"Yea, he'll be okay."

"Alright let's go."

Johnny put mine and his jackets over Ponyboy, then wrote something in the dirt on the floor, and we left to walk.

While walking down the road, we didn't really talk. The only sounds heard were the birds, the crunching of rocks beneath our feet, and passing cars that were probably asking themselves 'what the hell are two kids doing walking by there lonesome?'

"You okay, Shelly?" Johnny asked me calmly.

"Yea, you?" I asked him, looking sincerely into his dark eyes.

"I hope so."

When we made it into the store, we got some weird looks. I looked at my and Johnnys clothes and thought we looked decent enough. Maybe it was because we were both just kids in a store with no parents, but who knows?

We made our way through the isles but stopped when I noticed a book isle.

"Hey, let's get Gone With The Wind. I know Pony wanted it."

I walked up and grabbed the fresh copy, reading the back.

"Will we have enough for it?" Johnny asked, looking at the things we had in the box already.

"I hope so." I shrugged.

We walked to the cashier, placing our things on the counter. I was about to place the book when the cashier said something.

"49.37." The male cashier said

"Shit. We won't have enough for the book." Johnny cursed.

"I have an idea. Start to put the stuff in a box."

"Shelly, what are you gonna do?"

"Just wait, and don't judge me."

"Hey, sir!" I called the cashier. He looked up at me. He was an older man.

"And what can I do for you, sweetie?" He grinned, his teeth were not straight and very yellow. I internally cringed at the pet name.

"Did anyone ever tell you how nice of a smile you have?" I smiled at him, in an attempt to butter him up.

He turned around for a second, and I used that second to usher Johnny to put the book in the crate. Then, as he turned around, I saw three packs of cigarettes sitting on the counter.

"You really do, I assume you get a lot of women don't you?"

"Maybe I do." He winked at me.

I then got an idea, "Hey could I see this-" I reached my hand and 'accidentally' knocked down a stand.