November

The sound of his phone dinging with a text triggered a surge of excitement in Mike as he fumbled to pick it up from the bathroom counter. It was probably just the daily incoming good morning text from his girlfriend, but he loved that she did that. It made him feel like he was seen and appreciated; it meant that she thought about him every morning.

Strawbabie ❤: Good morning lovey :)

Sunshine <3: my angel <3

Her typing bubble kept appearing and disappearing, so he went back to brushing his teeth as he waited for her reply.

Strawbabie ❤: I have a question for you sir

Sunshine <3: shoot

God, even just looking at her contact name and the little bubble at the bottom of the screen that was her thinking of words to say made the well of affection inside him boil over. Everything about El was lovely, and warm, and soft, and beautiful. If you asked him, Mike couldn't come up with a single thing he didn't like about her. He almost tripped down the stairs because he was looking at his phone instead, which would have made him drop his trombone and probably cause a monumental headache courtesy of his mom about paying attention to where he's going.

"Holly!" He called into the kitchen. "Are you ready yet?"

His little sister groaned as she came into view. "I don't wanna go to school today..." She was tugging on the ends of her braids, something Mike did too when he was nervous. Not that he regularly wore braids, but...

Their mother walked out of the dining room with Holly's backpack. "Well, you have to go," she said. "You're not sick, so you shouldn't miss any class."

Holly's shoulders slumped as she took her bag. Mike's phone buzzed in his pocket, having been put on vibrate before he came downstairs. He took it out as he waited for Holly to put on her shoes.

Strawbabie ❤: I want to tell Max soon

Strawbabie ❤: About us

Sunshine <3: you sure?

El had been adamant when they started dating that she didn't want their friends to know right away. She thought they might be overexcited and make it their business to know everything about something that had been, at that point, a fledgling relationship. She didn't want them poking their noses in while she and Mike tried to figure out what they meant for each other. Mike didn't really care either way, but he agreed because he thought it might be fun to see how long they could keep it a secret. He also didn't want to tell anyone if it was going to make El uncomfortable.

Strawbabie ❤: I'm not telling her who tho

Strawbabie ❤: Just that I'm dating someone

Strawbabie ❤: I think she's catching on so I have to tell her something

Sunshine <3: well if you're sure then yeah

Sunshine <3: you know I support you in eveything :)

Sunshine <3: everything** GODDAMN

Stupid spindly fingers.

Strawbabie ❤: Lmao ok

Strawbabie ❤: See you soon <3

Sunshine <3: yeet

Mike grabbed the car keys from the bowl on the entryway table and started the car as Holly finished with her laces. Today was probably going to be nothing more than the average school day, but he still looked forward to seeing El. Since they were trying to keep their thing a secret, they didn't go out too often so as not to make anyone suspicious. But maybe...